This is a discussion on DROID RAZR M: Everything Root within the Droid Razr M Development forums, part of the Droid Razr M category; Razr M (XT907): Everything Root DISCLAIMER: Razr Forums nor I are responsible for what you do to your phone. Root and ROM at your own ...
Razr M (XT907): Everything Root
DISCLAIMER: Razr Forums nor I are responsible for what you do to your phone. Root and ROM at your own risk.
Install on your PC:
RSD Lite: HERE
ADB Drivers: HERE
Root Your RAZR M:
HUGE thanks to djrbliss for finding this exploit and compiling this!
1) Have the latest ADB Drivers installed (see above).
2) Download and extract THIS zip.
3) Have USB Debugging enabled (Settings -> Applications -> Development).
4) Connect your phone to the PC with a USB cable (preferably the one that came with your phone).
5) Double click “run.bat” and follow the instructions
1) If you get an error like, "run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown". You must wipe data and catch, then try again.
2) Rooting seems to work best with a “clean” factory reset phone (Settings -> Privacy-> Factory Data Reset). All data will be removed, even stuff on your internal memory storage. If there is ANYTHING you want in there, move it to your SD card and/or onto your computer. Do basic initial set up, then root.
3) Alternative key combination to get needed error: turn volume all the way down then hold power and volume up together. If you feel a vibration immediately, hold a few seconds longer until you get a second vibration. May have to try more than once.
4) Some have found they need to replace the su and superuser.apk files in the extracted zip before doing “run.bat”. If the original doesn’t work, delete the su and superuser.apk files in the extracted zip and replace them the ones found HERE.
Mac OS X users check out THIS.
UPDATE: Root Method for 4.1.2 (4.0.4 and 4.1.1 also)
We can all thank djrbliss for once again giving to the Android Community! This is a much simpler root method for the user!
"The Motochopper exploit is attached to this thread. It may be used as follows:
Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Motorola USB drivers available for your phone.
Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!"
Download at Original Thread
Fastboot (return to stock)
1) Download the Fastboot files from HERE. They are big files. ALWAYS CHECK the MD5 SUM! also PLEASE make sure that you are using the correct fastboot files for the version of android you are running!
2) Have drivers installed (see above).
3) Download and install RSD Lite (see above).
4) open RSDLite
5) Enter Fastboot mode on phone6) Connect phone to PC
- power down phone
- hold volume up+volume down+power until the menu shows up
- use volume down to highlight AP Fastboot and press volume up to select it
- do this quickly or phone auto reboots
7) Select your phone. It will be in line 1 and most likely say fastboot in the model name.
8) Click the "..." then select the fastboot file that you downloaded
9) Then select uncompress and flash
The whole process may take up to 15 minutes so don't freak out.. in fact just walk away and come back. Messing with the phone/cord during the the flashing process can end in disaster!
This is the screen that will first come up in #5. Sorry the image is blurry.
mattlgroff has so kindly made utilities for the RAZR M: HERE
1.10 will root 4.04 AND 4.1.1 but will ONLY fastboot 4.1.1
1.20 will root 4.0.4-4.1.2, fastboot 4.1.2 ONLY, and unlock your bootloader (see below for more details)
HELP! I'm Stuck in Bootloop!
So your fastbooted or flashed something, rebooted and now you are boot looping. Gone are the days of battery pull. What do you do now?
1) Hold Power + Volume Up + Volume Down
2) When screen goes black, release the power button but continue holding Volume Up +Volume Down
3) When the menu appears (pictured above) use volume down to highlight Recovery and Volume Up to select
4) If you are Unlocked (see below) and have a custom recovery installed (see below) then it will boot straight into recovery. If you have stock recovery installed, when the android with a caution symbol appears, hold Volume Up + Volume Down for 3-5 seconds (recovery on 4.1.2 is testy, and it may take a few tries) release and a blue menu should appear.
5) Clear cache (and if on a custom recovery, dalvik cache)
7) Not fixed?a) Restore a backupCustom ROMs:
1) MUST be rooted (see above).
2) You need SafeStrap (development for SafeStrap has pretty much stopped) or Unlock and flash a custom recovery (see below). Get the latest SS for the RAZR M HERE (current version 3.12). Learn how to install and use SafeStrap HERE.
Known RAZR M Custom ROM List:
These are listed in no particular order. The best way, to stay up to date with your favorite ROM, is to follow the developer. Please follow the developers install instructions. Remember, they donate their time and effort to the android community. Don't forget to thank them for all that they do!
What is a bootloader?
How Do I Unlock?
1) Use the 1.20 Utility posted above with the fastboot info
I've started working on updating this. It will take me a few days.
Thank you I am new to Droid and Rooting of my phone. I just rooted it and installed SafeStrap. Thank you. I am still trying to understand the ROM
Glad you found it helpful!
I have found custom ROMs to be very addictive. Take your time, read up and ask questions
Will this work for non-developer editions?
thank you so much! finally got scrabble working!!!!!