Register

Droid Razr has a known flaw with Mobile Hotspot

This is a discussion on Droid Razr has a known flaw with Mobile Hotspot within the Droid RAZR General Discussions forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; For those of you who do not already know, the Mobile Hotspot feature through Verizon - the paid service on a nonrooted Razr - does ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Droid Razr has a known flaw with Mobile Hotspot

Hybrid View

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Droid Razr has a known flaw with Mobile Hotspot

For those of you who do not already know, the Mobile Hotspot feature through Verizon - the paid service on a nonrooted Razr - does not function properly. It will not allow you to load certain websites on a device that is WiFi tethered to your Razr, while some sites work just fine. I decided to contact Motorola and after being very persistent I got an admission that it is a known problem.

Here's a quote from my email exchanges with customer support:

SubjectMobile hotspot not working for many websites**Discussion Thread* Via Email (Rookmanee)01/11/2012 11:00 AM
    Dear Deron,

I truly apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing at this time.But our engineer is aware of the issue and they are working on it.The only option at this time is the usb tethering i am sorry.If you need further assistance please contact Android Support at the following number (800) 734-5870. Thank you for your continued patience.

Tap Settings
    Tap Wireless & networks
    Tap Tethering & Mobile Hotspot
    Check the box for USB Tethering (this option is not selectable unless connected to a USB cable)

Sincerely,

Rookmanee.*Auto-Response01/06/2012 01:58 PMDear Consumer ...

Just wanted to warn anybody who is thinking about adding mobile hotspots to your Razr.

BTW, USB tethering from a Razr to a PC works just fine ... USB tethering is included in the Mobile Hotspots feature if you activate.

Note, you can use an app in the Android Market called EasyTether which costs $10 and does USB tethering to a PC. This option will allow you to use USB tethering without paying for additional Mobile Hotspots from Verizon. It'll just be part of your data package because your phone actually uses this app's server as the host. Anyway, it works just fine,albeit you cannot get real good data speeds like you can using Verizon's mobile hotspot and USB tethering
    Last edited by Deron; 01-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I've used both USB and bt tethering with no issues on a Non-rooted RAZR. As far as I know there are no additional charges. Other forums have cited the TOS and this is a violation but there were no vzw signups when tethered

My 2 cents

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by equake View Post
    I've used both USB and bt tethering with no issues on a Non-rooted RAZR. As far as I know there are no additional charges. Other forums have cited the TOS and this is a violation but there were no vzw signups when tethered

My 2 cents

I definitely paid for wireless tethering, finally got sick of it (and dropping data) and bought a MiFi.

Do you have links for the TOS violation? I'm absolutely disgusted with these issues and want to do whatever I can to get away from it.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by YAMAHAMMER View Post
    I definitely paid for wireless tethering, finally got sick of it (and dropping data) and bought a MiFi.

Do you have links for the TOS violation? I'm absolutely disgusted with these issues and want to do whatever I can to get away from it.
    No, but it should be somewhere in your myVerizon account. There is also a thread on the Motorola Forums about this.

USB tethering should give you full speeds of 4G but BT tethering is only limited to 2.1 Mbps because most devices only support Bluetooth 2.1. Some newer tablets are beginning to support Bluetooth 3.0 HS and Bluetooth 4.0 which has an upward speed ~25Mbps like the Macbooks and our beloved RAZR.
    YAMAHAMMER likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Deron View Post
    For those of you who do not already know, the Mobile Hotspot feature through Verizon - the paid service on a nonrooted Razr - does not function properly. It will not allow you to load certain websites on a device that is WiFi tethered to your Razr, while some sites work just fine.
    Thanks, Deron. It's my understanding that https sites are the ones affected. Can you confirm or add more details?

Member #
    My experience with the mobile hotspot is that its both random and inconsistent. Tried multiple times on the weekend to access my version account via hotspot, only to have it work just fine Monday. Have not spend any time tethered or for that matter enough time on https to determine if there is a pattern or if my system had enough cached information that it was able to allow me to login.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    Thanks, Deron. It's my understanding that https sites are the ones affected. Can you confirm or add more details?
    I think it is random. I am able to use Google and Gmail when wifi tethered. And I am pretty certain Gmail is https.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    I know that Yahoo! doesn't work. Also, All Topics - The Latest News Headlines, Videos and Images - Digg does not work either. The Verizon techs, if you can get them to admit to it, have an entire list of websites that do not work. The websites that do not work, might go through once if you are persistent, but will not continue to work. I'm still waiting for the fix paying my $30 per month.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    So I went and checked out the Razr Maxx today just to see if it's got the same problem. It does. Then I went on the Verizonwireless Forum and vented after calling *611 and turning off my hotspot service. The Verizon Tech Support replied to the Hotspot issue on their site and said they where aware that it was an issue and work looking for a solution and that we needed to be patient. Patient? Really? At $30 per month, it's really hard to be patient for a service that doesn't work!

Here's the excerpt from my post at Verizon:

I have news for you. This is completely unacceptable. There is no reason for me to pay for something that I can't use! Verizon people don't even know about this issue, unless they are 2nd level tech. You're hiding the fact that Hotspot does not work on the Razr, AND your reps are STILL selling the phones to people that want to use it as a hotspot. I bought mine in October and my hotspot hasn't worked since switching from the worse phone ever, a Charge. At least the Charge's hotspot worked. The way I see it, you owe me back charges for the hotspot problem since I haven't been able to use my hotspot for 3 months now.

I called today and CANCELLED my hotspot. There goes $30 per month for your service. $30 that you were getting that wasn't costing you anything to provide. You should be provide it for free anyway. It doesn't cost Verizon extra for the providing a hotspot.
    Last edited by scottysize; 01-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Sticking it to the man !

But seriously, I agree with you. Why is Verizon acting oblivious to the Razr's hotspot issue, especially if this is supposed to be their flagship device?

Ads