Register

Help Me with Smart Actions

This is a discussion on Help Me with Smart Actions within the Droid RAZR Apps forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; Whenever I try to use location as a trigger it doesn't work unless I activate wi-fi. I dont want wifi scan all day. How can ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help Me with Smart Actions

Hybrid View

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Help Me with Smart Actions

Whenever I try to use location as a trigger it doesn't work unless I activate wi-fi. I dont want wifi scan all day. How can I use location trigger without wifi. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    That's the only way to do it. I wanted mine to trigger some things at hone and work. What I did is set up my phone how I want it at home, then setup a time trigger, Monday through Friday 8am-4pm.

The app Tasker in the market does what you want. It uses cell towers for location. It costs money, but is worth it, if you want that to happen. Also, it takes alot of getting used to. It's a very complicated app to use.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noXcuse View Post
    That's the only way to do it. I wanted mine to trigger some things at hone and work. What I did is set up my phone how I want it at home, then setup a time trigger, Monday through Friday 8am-4pm.

The app Tasker in the market does what you want. It uses cell towers for location. It costs money, but is worth it, if you want that to happen. Also, it takes alot of getting used to. It's a very complicated app to use.
    Thanks, I used Tasker and Locale on my X. Want to avoid using them if I can. Smart Actions is good, still don't understand why the location trigger can't work on its own without wifi.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I know, it's kinda stupid they can't make a cell tower trigger for Smart Actions.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    262 times
    After using different Smart Actions for a while I ended up discontinuing their use. Even some of the more innocent ones seemed to have a high rate of use on my battery stats.
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Member #
    I never use smart actions. I find that the stock task killer set to use my apps on demand out lasts any of these via smart actions. However smart actions I think was really designed to enable toggles via your location. In return though your battery pays a small price. The smart actions app though is not nearly as bad on battery as other apps that claim the same result...

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I used the smart actions for a short time after getting my RAZR. Great idea but just found it lacking. The lack of gps trigger was my biggest complaint. I bought tasker and put in some time to figure it out and never looked back. It does all that I want and more.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight.....your tactics stink!

Running a rooted RAZR MAXX! Now on ICS

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    +1 for Tasker. It is probably the best ~$6 I've ever spent. I use calendar triggers so when I have an appointment called "work" it silences the phone, turns off bluetooth, turns on wifi (wifi > 4g signal at work), sends me an email on my work email if I get a text/missed call (so I'm not constantly checking my phone), etc. LOVE IT.

It does take time to get used to, but when I moved from my X to my Maxx I just exported the settings and copied them over with Dropbox. No new setup needed.
    reallyneatgirl likes this.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    I've started using Verizon Wifi Auto-on, which uses cell towers (sounds like similar to Tasker, but free) to turn on your wifi based on location (does not use GPS). As I read in another post, the poster used it to determine a location to enable wifi, then use wifi to trigger certain Smart Actions (some can only be activated when wifi is on), then turn wifi back off.

This might work for you in this case.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jst154 View Post
    I've started using Verizon Wifi Auto-on, which uses cell towers (sounds like similar to Tasker, but free) to turn on your wifi based on location (does not use GPS). As I read in another post, the poster used it to determine a location to enable wifi, then use wifi to trigger certain Smart Actions (some can only be activated when wifi is on), then turn wifi back off.

This might work for you in this case.
    Thanks. I'm trying the Verizon WIFi Auto On and it seems to work as needed.

Ads