Register

Recover data from Maxx HD?

This is a discussion on Recover data from Maxx HD? within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; A few days ago, my Razr Maxx HD crashed and won't boot. It is locked, and not rooted. Initially, it wouldn't ever get past the ...

Member #

Recover data from Maxx HD?

A few days ago, my Razr Maxx HD crashed and won't boot. It is locked, and not rooted. Initially, it wouldn't ever get past the red circle initial splash screen and would stay on that for hours. I was able to press the Power+VolUp+VolDown to get to the menu to Restore, Normal Boot, etc... I was able to get to the dead android guy one time and one time only thus far. I tried to take it into a store, but they did a very half-hearted attempt and trying to get it to work again. Since then, I have never been able to get as far as I did prior in trying to recover anything.

Now, it almost immediately just boots into fastboot with an error of Kernel Boot Failure.

My phone does/did have Developer Options enabled, and I was previously able to use it with Android Studio, and deploy apps to it, so I know the drivers are loaded on my computer fine, and I am using the same cable.

Ultimately and if possible, I am wanting to retrieve the data off the phone. From what I am seeing I THINK it is still possible.

When I connect the phone to my computer, and it is in fastboot, I can type this in the cmd prompt: "fastboot devices". It sees it and lists it as a device. On my phone, I also get the message of "USB connected", or "USB disconnected" (if I disconnect it). In the Windows Device Manager, when I plug it in, it detects the hardware change, and I get the entry for "ADB" in the Device Manager. If I disconnect it, it goes away. So, windows does see it on some level. In that same command prompt, if I type "adb devices", it does not see any devices attached.

If I can get adb to work, I should be able to pull the data off. Knowing that it goes into boot failure, should adb even work? Does it need to boot up far enough for adb to work, or should adb work no matter what?

I've looked into unlocking to install TWRP or similar, but doing so, deletes data which defeats the purpose in all of this.

Any thoughts? Anything for me to try?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Unfortunately it sounds like you've attempted all the things I would have in your place. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members of the forum can offer some additional help.
    Be patient - there is not a lot of traffic on this forum any longer due to the age of the RAZR line.
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Member #
    I will be patient...

Hoping this may be helpful... 2 other error messages I see on the fastboot screen are:
    "Load kernel (boot) failed"
    "Fastboot Reason: Boot Failure"

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    I reached out in a PM to one of the forum administrators. She is going to put out some feelers. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Are you using this phone on VZW? If yes, then this might work or might not...I would call into the VZW customer service line from a working phone and ask for tech support, do not deal with anyone in customer service. If you get tech support, they should be able to walk you thru using the VZW Software Upgrade Assistant to repair your device (the only catch here will be if you have it installed on a laptop / PC that will allow you to get it past the stuck screen)...

Here is a link to their support page that talks about SUA and how to use... Repair Assistant - Software Upgrade Assistant (Motorola) | Verizon Wireless

Good luck and hope you are able to get the issue resolved.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Thanks for the research STG

Remove Ads

Ads