Register

Should the phone get hot? Do you have tips for what to check when phone is replaced?

This is a discussion on Should the phone get hot? Do you have tips for what to check when phone is replaced? within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; I apologize for the endless questions. This is my first real smartphone. The LG Phoenix doesn't really count. It didn't really work. I did intend ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Should the phone get hot? Do you have tips for what to check when phone is replaced?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Should the phone get hot? Do you have tips for what to check when phone is replaced?

I apologize for the endless questions. This is my first real smartphone. The LG Phoenix doesn't really count. It didn't really work.

I did intend to go for the best and fastest when I bought it last year. I'm android all the way and love the droids. I would like to clarify I am very computer saavy but learning smartphones. Along those lines I do not mess with rooting until I understand it more but I am avoiding now due to my ability to draw out any flaw in a device, aka needing the warranty.

Along those lines. I have a Trident Aegis cover for it. The first phone didn't seem to get hot. It was in a cheap plastic hard cover. This is the 2nd phone and my thought is it has a short. The screen stopped working and I noticed half the bottom buttons stopped lighting up. The first phone froze and no matter what, even hard reset, it froze and never came back. I am getting #3 either today or tomorrow. Since verizon sends warranty replacements that are "refurbished"; should it get hot? I have never had a warning for overheating come up. I took off the cover because it felt like it was getting overly hot. I know it's a strong smart phone. I do love the thing. How hot should it get? I've dealt with laptops alot and I know for example some older Mac's would get really hot but it was fine.

Is there a heat shield I could buy? Like you would for a computer but on the back of the phone before putting in a case?

What items do you recommend I check when I receive the replacement? I do the basics like wifi, bluetooth, generic type items but what else do you recommend? What is a tolerable point for it to heat up to a where is the temp setting or a program to know if it is getting too hot? I have ordered new factory cables to be safe. #2 seems to have somehow developed a short from my thoughts.

I'm interested in assuring that this warranty "refurbished" replacement is up to par. I also would appreciate any suggestions to keep it optimal. I would love to root but I need to keep my warranty, what little is left.

Details: I'm in a 3G only area, recently cleared a lot of junk programs, was on ice cream operating system. I doubt I will root with Jelly Bean looking to roll out soon. I've seen a small roll out was done but there were issues and it's been delayed.

I appreciate all the info! Awesome forum! Cheers, Valentine

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    378 times
    Every phone I have owned so far has ended up with hardware issues and has been replaced under warranty and is the very reason I no longer root phones.

I use gsam battery monitor to check my temperature https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm just drag down the Notification bar and there you go.

If your phone ever reaches 140F its ruined. This is the temperature when solder that holds your electronic components to the circuit board is compromised. If my phone ever reaches 105F I just put it in refrigerated air for a few minutes. The A/C in your car or a refrigerator for 2 minutes
    will work fine.
    Last edited by Robert; 01-02-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    378 times
    On the factory refurbished issue... Don't worry about it. Verizon tech support told me most factory refurbished phones are brand new phones that customers returned. Because the customer might have changed their mind and bought an iPhone since iOS can be figured out and mastered in 10 minutes.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    506 times
    If you are in a 3g only area your phone may be heating because it is constantly looking for a 4g connection (this can also impact battery life). You might want to see if an app like LTE OnOff might help. it will direct you to set the phone to cdma 3g so it no longer searches for a 4g network.
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Guys, I have a Razr M, not a Razr MAXX, however I work with electronics and in my experience, unless there is a design flaw or a hardware malfunction, no portable electronics should get hot to the point of being uncomfortable to hold or (worse yet) shutdown due to over-temperature protection.

My M gets warm to the touch only in two cases:

- When my son borrows it to play CPU-intensive games
    - When I use it in the car with my GPS app while charging at the same time. Since I also use Bluetooth while driving, that adds a little more power consumption (and therefore heat) as well.

An when I say that it gets warm I mean that when you take into your hand it feels like when you touch somebody with high fever.

I can see how continuous search of signal or 4G may increase battery drain, but I am not so sure that that alone would heat up the phone.

Before the Rarz M I had a HTC Aria, which was much smaller (thus having a smaller dissipating surface) and it would get warm only in the exact two conditions I mentioned above.

It also happens with the M and it happened with the Aria that I have to be on long conference calls for work (one hour or more) using Bluetooth in a low signal area (where supposedly the phone is transmitting at a higher power to stay locked on the cell) and I never experienced overheating issues.

In my humble opinion, if any smartphone gets so hot to be uncomfortable to hold, the culprit is a hardware issue or a very extreme usage condition.
    Razr M Stock
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    506 times
    I think at this point we don't know how hot is hot in this instance. He doesn't mention in his post that it is uncomfortably hot. That being said, I've had occasions when my phone has gotten "hot" (not uncomfortably so) and this has happened in instances as you describe - usually multitasking, downloading multiple updates or files, etc. It should absolutely not be the normal state of the phone and I didn't mean to imply that.

Valentine says he's getting replacement #3 in soon so we shall have to see if it suffers from the same malady. Batman - do you think a phone in a weak 4g area may get warmer by constantly attempting to connect between 3g and 4g? I seem to recall reading of people reporting this (and increased power consumption).

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    ToeJamm, I do not think so, as far as I know phone calls are always made over 3G, 4G is used only for data. If the 4G circuit is on, but idle (i.e.: no web surfing or any app synch'ing in background), battery drain would be higher for sure since you have more electronics active, but it should not be a dramatic increase. I usually keep my 4G off all the time and turn it on only when I want to download mail, check the weather, surf the web or stream music over Pandora. However, since I have all sync off, even when I forget it on I do not notice a huge impact on battery drain.

I do not know how exactly our phones attempt to find a 4G signal, however I would think that the phone "listen" first for available signals, then when it finds one tries to transmit to check the reliability of the link. That might be the cause of the added battery drain when in a weak 4G area. More than switching between 3G and 4G I believe it might be more correct to say that the phone tries to add 4G, which of course will always increase battery drain, whether the phone is searching for a 4G signal or has locked onto it.
    Razr M Stock
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    506 times
    Thanks Batman (I've always wanted a reason to say that )

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    378 times
    When I had my HTC Rezound the phone reached 131F when under load. Sometimes when talking on the phone the handset felt hot and when read 118F.

Verizon tech support told me it was a Hardware issue.

The highest I've seen my Razr Maxx SD was around 109F just felt warm when gaming or streaming HD video.

My Razr Maxx HD seems to handle a load with out getting hot better than any phone I've owned. The game that warms it the most (so far) is NFS Most Wanted which is also one of the most graphically intense games I've played. My HD will hit around 105F. Right now while posting this I'm at 72F.

Attachment 1469

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks everyone. I think there is a weird short in it. The bottom lights all of a sudden started turning off on one side and if you move it they turn on again then off. Basically 2 of the 4 buttons were intermittent. It had never done that before. My replacement comes tomorrow so I will start again. I will install the monitor. With phone 2, it was getting hotter than normal. It's cold now so it made less sense. I removed the cover to keep it cool. Then it finally messed up the screen touch and doesn't register them anymore.

And to clarify it was getting overly hot while on wifi. It goes back and on to the next one. I'll monitor the temp this time just to be safe. Thx everyone!
    Last edited by valentine; 01-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Ads