Register

Razr Maxx constantly freezing and restarting

This is a discussion on Razr Maxx constantly freezing and restarting within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; Hello, I recently bought a brand new Razr Maxx. I loved it. One night I charged it with a mini USB charger I found around ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Razr Maxx constantly freezing and restarting

Hello,

I recently bought a brand new Razr Maxx. I loved it. One night I charged it with a mini USB charger I found around the house that was long enough for me to put the phone on my nightstand. The next morning the phone was dead. The only thing I could get was the LED flash blinking to let me know it was charging. I went into the local Verizon store and told them about it. They said they would give me another phone. I was elated. In a couple days, I got my new (?) phone. Lo and behold, right away I noticed problems. During the initial setup it would hang a lot. I ended up successfully synching and backing up everything. Shortly after, every now and then the phone would freeze, then go back to normal. I thought nothing of it. Then it got worse, where every few minutes, even seconds, it freezes, and I either have to reboot it manually, or it does it automatically. This is REALLY frustrating when you are in the middle of a phone call. It renders the phone useless. I upgraded the phone to ICS and erased it to factory settings, but it's still happening. Can someone help me? I really doubt I need to return the phone again. I'm sure there is some sort of app or update I can get to make it more stable.

Thanks!

bragi07

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    If you just got it that way, and a factory reset did not help, I would suggest not messing with it and just taking it back. Lemons happen, sounds like you got one

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bragi07 View Post
    I recently bought a brand new Razr Maxx. I loved it. One night I charged it with a mini USB charger I found around the house that was long enough for me to put the phone on my nightstand. The next morning the phone was dead. The only thing I could get was the LED flash blinking to let me know it was charging.
    All chargers are not created equal. Third party chargers have been known to cause various issues, as they may produce a different voltage/current than what you phone wants. I'd be willing to bet this caused the problem on your first device.

Two examples here:

ICS Battery life - Page 17

RAZR Mazz freezes up

I'd stick to using the manufacturer-provided charger as much as possible and only use a non-stock one whenever you're in a bind.
    Last edited by Trash Can; 07-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    I have to agree with this. The battery technology in the Razr series is a bit different than previous devices and other chargers may cause problems. Always best to stay with the original if at all possible.

Member #
    Thank you for your help. I went to Verizon yesterday and they took it and shipped me a new one. I am setting it up right now but it appears really slow/laggy. I'm not sure what the problem is. It could be that it is just identifying the new SIM and SD card. I'll let you know if I run into any more issues.

EDIT: Functions okay.. lag comes and goes.. willing to overlook that. However the network does not work at all. The bars are only white, not blue with 3g, 4glte, and the call button simply doesn't work. Going for the 4th time to Verizon to get the SIM card either fixed or replaced. I also noticed that when I press buttons, there is a slight half second hang before its entered.. I don't know if that's normal or not.
    It has also randomly restarted 4 times since I initially set it up. The last time the screen went black.
    Last edited by bragi07; 07-11-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add. info

Member #
    Really odd. You should have no lag , pretty much.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    If you're not getting a connection to the network, that could explain the lag. Also, are you charging it with the charger that came with the razr, or are you still using a random charger you found laying around? It is highly recommended to not use just any charger with this phone as the wrong voltage or amperage going into it could potentially cause problems.

Member #
    Since I got my 2nd replacement phone, I have been using the supplied Motorola charger (charged overnight) and a car charger that I bought with my original Razr Maxx at the Verizon Store. This morning, I removed it from the charger and connected it to the house wireless network successfully. I went to the "email" icon to try to set up an email address. After touching the buttons (1 second delays) the screen turned black and only the blue indicators at the top right were showing. I'm thinking it could be either the SIM and/or SD cards being corrupted (due to the initial power surge that bricked the new phone from the store) or the fact that it keeps trying to connect to the network and gets overloaded (?).. Yesterday I wiped the cache 2x and did a factory restore 2x, and the phone was given to me CLN w/ the latest software update.. I'm off to Verizon for 2 new cards now. If anyone knows a way to make the latest update stable please let me know. I'm willing to fiddle with it in order for it to work perfectly, because I really like it.

Member #
    OK so when I went to Verizon, they reformated the SD card and gave me a new SIM card, like I asked. I had a feeling the cards corrupted during the surge when they were in the 1st phone. The phone appears to be working perfectly, so far. Just a little wrinkle though: every day, around 4ish, both SD and SIM cards don't function (top right shows the cards with a red cross in front). Any reason for that? I basically have to turn the phone off and reinsert both cards.. which is weird and I'm sure there's a fix for it. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    For lag issues.. try clearing data on your home screen app. You have to setup your home screen again, but it helped me.. further more, if your having some for of an issue that occurs everyday at the same time... and its that type if an issue. I would suggest an fdr..
    Lead me not into temptation.... cause I probably know about 20 different shortcuts

Ads