Register

Battery Charging Time

This is a discussion on Battery Charging Time within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; I use the Motorola travel charger at work. It seems to take forever for the Maxx to reach full charge. Is the travel charger underpowered, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Battery Charging Time

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Battery Charging Time

I use the Motorola travel charger at work. It seems to take forever for the Maxx to reach full charge. Is the travel charger underpowered, or does the Maxx just take long because of the large capacity battery. Also, when running in car dock with gps, music going, it seems that the battery slowly drains on the car charger.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    530 times
    I will qualify my response because I am certainly no expert on this battery but I will say that charging time definitely seems to be longer because of the battery's capacity. In another thread, in fact, there is discussion about the need for a 3.0 USB hub to charge the phone. I can support this, because my phone will not charge from a 2.0 USB connection - it barely holds its own when connected via usb.

I have had my phone on the car charger while running GPS and listening to a book and it seems to do fine. Of course there can always be other factors that might impact your battery while on the charger (like searching for 4g, 3g signals, etc.).

Hopefully others who are more knowledgeable than me will chime in. I can only relate my own experience.
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    I've watched the percentage of charge go up 1% every 2 minutes. It definitely takes a lot longer to charge the Maxx fully. However, I plug it in at night, and it's full when I wake up, and that's the only time I charge ti all day. That part is really nice!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    USB only supports 500 mili-amps where the wall charger is 1 amp.

Plus since the battery in the Maxx is almost twice as big as other phones the charge time will be some where between 3-4 hours on the 1 amp wall charger.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I guess my biggest concern is that the car charger doesnt keep up with battery drain. My battery is lower after using gps, music, maps after I take it off charger than when I started. Is there high output car chargers? I assumed they are all the same.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cigator View Post
    I guess my biggest concern is that the car charger doesnt keep up with battery drain. My battery is lower after using gps, music, maps after I take it off charger than when I started. Is there high output car chargers? I assumed they are all the same.
    You may want to look into getting a power invertor and use a standard wall charger... that will give you a higher output, plus let you use other devices with ease.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Depending on your car, some power points may put out less power than others. If you have several, try a different one. The "main" one on the dash probably puts out the most. My car (Chevy Cobalt) has one under the heater/fan controls and one under my e-brake in the center console. I use the latter, because it's much more convenient, but I've never had any issues charging.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cigator View Post
    For starters using GPS, Maps and music is a huge battery drain. And most chargers can not keep up with that kind of drain.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    For starters using GPS, Maps and music is a huge battery drain. And most chargers can not keep up with that kind of drain.
    I never had any issues with my DX in my Moto car dock with Google Navigation and Slacker playing with the screen on the whole time. I used the charger that came with the DX car dock. I haven't used my RAZR in for navigation yet, don't have the dock installed in my car yet.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    One thing I'm curious of, for those experiencing battery drain, are you using 3g or 4g?

Ads