Register

Listening to music without external speakers/headphones

This is a discussion on Listening to music without external speakers/headphones within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; I put this in the RAZR Maxx section because I think it applies more the the Maxx than just the RAZR due to the shape ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redtarget

Thread: Listening to music without external speakers/headphones

Member #
    Liked
    100 times

Listening to music without external speakers/headphones

I put this in the RAZR Maxx section because I think it applies more the the Maxx than just the RAZR due to the shape of the back of the phone. Could be wrong, didn't spend too much time looking at the RAZR.

On my Droid X, the speaker was on the back of the phone, near the bottom. Due to the tapered shape of the back of the device and the bump at the top for the camera, the phone did not sit flat on a table, which allowed sound to come out and sort of bounce off the table top, making it a little louder without turning the volume all the way up.

On the RAZR Maxx, the speaker is at the top of the device, next to the camera. When you lay the phone flat on a table, it sounds awful. I often listen to music on my phone via Slacker at work, and it just sits on my desk. I either lay it flat on the table or prop it up against my monitor. On the DX, it had the soft touch coating, so it could lean on something and not slide on the desk. The RAZR Maxx can't stand up because it doesn't have the soft touch coating, and I don't have a case on it.

Currently I have the phone laying flat on the table with the charging cord under the middle of the phone just below the bump in order to lift it off the table a little bit, which sounds MUCH better than when it is laying flat on the table.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to listen to music that sounds decent without putting the phone face down on the desk? I am thinking of making some sort of small stand out of random office supplies (shouldn't be too hard with paper/binder clips) just to prop it up and cradle it so I can see the screen without picking up the device. I keep the screen on all the time when the device is charging, so when music is playing, Slacker is always in the foreground, and I can see my notifications, etc.

Thanks!
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    I don't have the Maxx, but can see how this would be a problem. Something that I would suggest... and this may no longer be a household item, but a semi large eraser would probably do the trick. You know, the pink rectangular ones that you may have used at some point in school... possibly art class. It would stay in place on the desk/table as well as prevent the phone from sliding off. Not to mention that if you don't have one, they should be pretty cheap!
    fury likes this.

Guidelines of Conduct for razrforums.com
    Need help? Visit the help section: Help & Support

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Thanks redtarget. That's a good idea! Plus, it won't look too out of place on my desk at work.
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    I just put mine face down. So far no problems.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    I just put mine face down. So far no problems.
    I know I -could- put it face down, but like I said I keep it plugged in so the screen stays on, then I can see what's playing/skip easily; and see my notifications.

Last night when I was at work I set my phone in the top of a coffee cup that I keep on my desk to hold pens, and put two pens at the front of of the cup and the rest at the back so the phone could rest between them. Put it at a good angle for seeing the phone while sitting at the desk. Wanted to take a picture, but my Maxx was all I had to take photos with at the time :P
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Have you thought about the docking station?

Ads