Register

USB Charging

This is a discussion on USB Charging within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; Had a rare event last night. I didn't make it through an entire day without charging. So, while watching the tube I plugged my Maxx ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Charging

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times

USB Charging

Had a rare event last night. I didn't make it through an entire day without charging. So, while watching the tube I plugged my Maxx into my laptop via USB. It was plugged in for nearly 2 hours and sat at 15% charge the entire time. It was not being used at all during the two hour period.

The battery icon gave the appearance that it was charging but it didn't appear to be getting any juice.

I was using the USB Moto cable from my Droid X. Are there proprietary cables necessary to charge the Maxx from a USB port?
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    I decided to start keeping track of my phone set up and usage to see what impacts my battery life the most. Just realized that's kinda like a rat in a maze trying to study his/her own behavior. The fact that I'm keeping track of my battery status will likely impact how I use my phone - LOL

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Most computer's USB power is really low, I've had MP3 players over the years that couldn't charge via USB once the battery gets really low.
    I've notice with this phone, while this battery lasts really long it also takes a long time to charge, so with a low current charger like USB it makes sense that it doesn't make a difference.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    213 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ryant35 View Post
    Most computer's USB power is really low, I've had MP3 players over the years that couldn't charge via USB once the battery gets really low.
    I've notice with this phone, while this battery lasts really long it also takes a long time to charge, so with a low current charger like USB it makes sense that it doesn't make a difference.
    I agree withi ryant35 on this one. Most usb ports put out less than 500mah, with most closer to 300mah. The razr seems to need over 700mah to charge successfully. If you're using 4g it's going to need the standard wall charger that came with it to keep up. The amount of power that the USB port is putting out will help maintain your current charge, or slow the rate at which it discharges. However I have been able to get mine to charge successfully via USB, but only when using 3g and not 4g. I'm also using the cable that came with it... not sure if it's different than the one from the X.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Let me ask you a stupid question. Was your laptop's screen off? When my screen turns off, it kills power to the USB ports to conserve battery. The only reason I know that, is because I have a USB powered cooling fan/mat that the laptop sits on. When it goes to sleep, the fan cuts off.
    Last edited by noXcuse; 05-03-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    213 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noXcuse View Post
    Let me ask you a stupid question. Was your laptop's screen off? When my screen turns off, it kills power to the USB ports to conserve battery.
    Definitely not a stupid question. USB ports aren't as equal as they used to be and as such one may work while another won't. With the release of USB 3.0, if included on your laptop or desktop, you can charge devices even with the power off as long as the ac adapter to the computer is plugged in. However this could be negated if a power profile is setup which disables any power output depending on various circumstances. These could be triggered by idle time, lid closure, battery level below x amount.... Etc...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Quote Originally Posted by redtarget View Post
    Definitely not a stupid question. USB ports aren't as equal as they used to be and as such one may work while another won't. With the release of USB 3.0, if included on your laptop or desktop, you can charge devices even with the power off as long as the ac adapter to the computer is plugged in. However this could be negated if a power profile is setup which disables any power output depending on various circumstances. These could be triggered by idle time, lid closure, battery level below x amount.... Etc...
    Yep it was on.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So if your PC has a USB 3.0 port, use that to charge because it supplies more power.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Humm. Haven't tried charging on my 3.0. I just use it for transfers.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    213 times
    Found this info about the power output: A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0

So 3.0 will definitely be able to put out more than enough juice to charge the Razr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads