Register

Black screen of Death

This is a discussion on Black screen of Death within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; has anyone had any problems with the phone freezing in sleep mode? every so often when i try to take it out of sleep it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Black screen of Death

Member #

Black screen of Death

has anyone had any problems with the phone freezing in sleep mode? every so often when i try to take it out of sleep it won't do it. it just stays black with the LED blinking at me. i then have to hold the lock + vol down button to reboot it. I love the phone but was curious since it's happened to me twice now in the last 24 hours.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    I haven't had that issue (knock on wood)... Have you added any new apps lately or possibly using an aftermarket charger?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mine did it once the first night after rooting it. Hasn't done it since.....?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight.....your tactics stink!

Running a rooted RAZR MAXX! Now on ICS

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Both my husband and I got new maxx's about a week ago. BOTH of them encountered the black screen of death ......and the volume + power key trick works to get them off "sleep mode" but how do you avoid this happening at all? Any ideas?
    cttyler and bragi07 like this.

Member #
    it hasn't happened in a day or so fortunatly. I went through and cleaned out non essential apps. i have a feeling it was one of those. i also installed advanced task killer and use that regularly to get rid of running apps.

on a side note, is there any benefit to rooting the phone? blur doesn't bother me that much, i throw all the verizon stuff in a folder called crap so i don't need to look at it. I'm a geek so i normally customize the crap out of everything but haven't really seen a need for this. I rooted my nook once but then set it back to normal after one of the last updates since i strictly use it as a book reader.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    It's very possible that it was one of the apps that caused it. I never ended up deleting any of my apps, and it never happened again.

Root primarily gains you a free wifi hotspot, but it also allows you to do some other things. You can use apps such as Titanium backup to back up or freeze apps, use screenshot apps, flash custom ROMS. If you get bored go to the market and search root just to see what it brings up.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight.....your tactics stink!

Running a rooted RAZR MAXX! Now on ICS

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mine locked up today for the first time. Had to power/V- to reboot it. For a few minutes I thought it was a goner.

Member #
    I had the same problem and before I found this forum tried holding down the power key and the power key simultaneously the up volume button.
    The only thing that worked was holding down the power button and volume down button at the same time for several seconds, then the phone rebooted.
    There is a bug somewhere. Other than that I absolutely love the phone!!! I like it 10x more than my HTC Droid Incredible. It is very fast just bring apps up. I also love the built in email app that lets me easily get to all my email from all my email accounts from one app.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by strouja View Post
    I had the same problem and before I found this forum tried holding down the power key and the power key simultaneously the up volume button.
    The only thing that worked was holding down the power button and volume down button at the same time for several seconds, then the phone rebooted.
    There is a bug somewhere. Other than that I absolutely love the phone!!! I like it 10x more than my HTC Droid Incredible. It is very fast just bring apps up. I also love the built in email app that lets me easily get to all my email from all my email accounts from one app.
    Welcome to the forum!!

Member #
    My Razr Maxx has done this 3 times now in the month I have owned it. I didn't know what it was called when it happened and did not know about the power/Vol down button combination for reboot. The only thing I could do was plug into a charger and it made it come back by automatically restarting. I wrote about it here: Maxx Shuts Off by itself - False Low Battery?
    Please read my fuller description and tell me if anyone else has had the same experience and if what I describe is truly the BSOD.

Thanks,
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads