Register

Black screen of Death

This is a discussion on Black screen of Death within the Droid RAZR Maxx forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; Well, it has been a little over a month since I have had this problem and I thought all my worries were over, but not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Black screen of Death

Member #
    Well, it has been a little over a month since I have had this problem and I thought all my worries were over, but not so! My phone did the same thing again tonight, BSOD or whatever it is. In another post I stated that the only way to get the phone to "power back on" was to plug it into a charger. But at that time I had never heard of the battery pull simulation of the power button + the volume down keys together. Well, I tried that tonight and it didn't work. I held the power key and volume down together for 30 seconds to a minute and nothing. I tried this several times. Would not power back up. When I finally got back to my car I plugged into the charger. The other times, after plugging into a charger, I just held the power key for about 5-10 seconds and it restarted. This time however it took a little longer. I held it for quite a long time and nothing. Then I just drove a while intending to try again at home. I finally pushed power button one more time and it restarted. When fully booted up I checked the battery level and it is at 40%! I don't know what is going on with my phone but I don't think it is the same as everyone else who calls it the BSOD. Mine has never done it after a phone call as some have described. In fact mine has never done it during any kind of usage at all. Every time it has been during sleep mode. The phone is in sleep mode in my pocket or on the desk. I reach to use it and hit the power button to wake it up and nothing. It won't turn on. So far the only way I have been able to wake it up is plug into a charger and then it restarts. It has never had a low battery any of these times. I am at a loss what to do. It doesn't happen a lot but when it does it is a real pain.

Does anyone else experience similar to my problem, that is the phone not waking up from sleep mode? Then having to plug into a charger to get it to reboot? Everyone else seems to be happening while they are using the phone or right after a call. Open to any more idead or advice. Thanks.

Member #
    The black screen happenwd to me a time or two, i think it had something to do with the having multiple launchers installed and none set to default. Since i set my favorite launcher to default, no problems.

Also i must say rooting and romming a phone is worth the risk. For one, the bloat is gone(imagine running with around 500M free), second the customization is crazy in depth.

If someone were to consider rooting and romming their maxx, i recommend DroidTheorys AXIOM B20 rom.
    Thread: http://www.droidhive.com/forums/inde...i0m-kang-razr/

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    I woke up one morning and my first Razr was dark. Wouldn't wake up. Tried several things, couldn't ever get it to come back on. Returned back to VZW for a new one. NO problems with the new one, and now I'm on a Maxx and no problems with it. I'd say you probably need to send it back for a new one. My 2 cents.

Member #
    this has become a common issue starting with the droid3
    Look at you sailing through the air majestically, like an eagle piloting a blimp

GEAUX TIGERS

Member #
    I'm just reporting another instance of the Black Screen of Death. I set it in Sleep mode and went to sleep myself. In the morning the green LED indicator told me my battery was OK, but I couldn't get it to fire up. I fixed it just now with the Power/Volume button combination I learned in this forum. I haven't rooted my phone. I recently (maybe a week ago?) upgraded to ICE, and this is the first time I encountered the problem.

Member #

BLACK SCREEN KISS of DEATH

Interesting,

Been having issues with my Razr similar to above, and it has progressively gotten worse over the last month. Simply put, when my screen goes off after use, it will not come back on unless I reboot phone. It is consistent, so since I am on computer 90% of the time, I set screen to stay on while charging, so I plug in USB cable to computer and I can get by, but as soon as I disconnect, and screen goes off, it will not come back on unless I reboot over and over, a big pain in the butt when I am not sitting on computer.

So with that, I have tried the lookout vurus program thinking it may be one of the application updates which seemed to coincide with problem starting, but no luck. Since it is so consistent, it must be hardware as I see it given I have stock phone, barely used, almost always hooked to computer since I was using tethering for first year of ownership. I even dumped several of the apps in hopes of curing problem, so has anyone found a solution to this kiss of black screen death.

Thanks,

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Are you able to "power off" the phone with the power button normally? Or is that function hindered as well?

Member #
    In my research to date, no, the power off alone would not shut phone down, but hitting the volume down and power off together did bring it back up whereby I could again shut it off normally. Problem still exists, and is getting worse, unless I have set screen to stay on while charging, it would not come back on, as in, once you stop using phone, hang up, etc, then once screen would go off, it stayed off, have to repeat the vol. down and power on route all over again to get phone to go back on. Since I am on computer constantly, I plug it into USB port to keep charging, and to keep screen on so it will work. Sure is frustrating.

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    To shutdown the phone, get into AP fastboot (assuming you know how) and then click the power button
    Back to the Droid Maxx XT1080!

Rooted w/ Unlocked Bootloader

#PowerToTheDroid2k15

Forever ANDROID! \( . _ . )

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FREE100KSECRET View Post
    In my research to date, no, the power off alone would not shut phone down, but hitting the volume down and power off together did bring it back up whereby I could again shut it off normally. Problem still exists, and is getting worse, unless I have set screen to stay on while charging, it would not come back on, as in, once you stop using phone, hang up, etc, then once screen would go off, it stayed off, have to repeat the vol. down and power on route all over again to get phone to go back on. Since I am on computer constantly, I plug it into USB port to keep charging, and to keep screen on so it will work. Sure is frustrating.
    Did the phone accidentally get wet by any chance?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads