Register

ClockworkMod superuser.zip installation aborted

This is a discussion on ClockworkMod superuser.zip installation aborted within the Droid Razr M Help forums, part of the Droid Razr M category; Hello folks, I could use some help from those of you more versed in rooting and related matters. I rooted my Razr M using towelroot ...

Member #
    Liked
    74 times

ClockworkMod superuser.zip installation aborted

Hello folks, I could use some help from those of you more versed in rooting and related matters.

I rooted my Razr M using towelroot and it worked with no issues. I verified I am indeed rooted using two different root checkers apps and I was able to install and run SD Fix, to restore SD writing permissions to installed apps.

Being towelroot an apk-based rooting method, it did NOT install a custom recovery and superuser app and binary. Looking for one, I narrowed it down to superuser from ClockworkMod and SuperSU from Chainfire.

Decided to give ClockworkMod superuser a try, installed the app and downloaded superuser.zip from their web site, as per instructions on the app description page in Google Play. Put the superuser.zip file on my SD card, rebooted the M in recovery (it has the actions available listed in blue fonts), selected "apply update from sdcard", selected superuser.zip, tapped the power key to execute, the process starts but then on the screen I see:

-- install /sdcard
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installation aborted.

and in the background there is the Android robot laying on his back, with its belly open, the red triangle with the exclamation mark and the "Error!" message.

At that point the only thing I can do is to select "reboot system now", which restarts the phone with no harm done, but no superuser either...

Am I making a stupid mistake without realizing it? Is there a superuser.zip file specific to Motorola phones or maybe a particular install method?

I spent some time searching around the internet, but I have not yet been able to find a viable solution.

Thanks in advance for any pointer!!!!
    Last edited by Batman; 08-23-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    Droid Turbo
    32Gb, Metallic Black
    Cimo Wave Slim TPU Soft Case Black

Razr M Rooted
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    You need an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery (which towel root does not do) to flash a su zip. If your m is on 4.4.4 you can use motocalypse (something like that) to unlock the bootloader. Flash a custom recovery and then flash the zip. Or if you're already rooted just download a su app from the playstore and install it.

Flashing the ssu zip is a method to root your phone and you are already rooted... There is no real reason to do it.
    Last edited by GoCliffGo05; 08-24-2014 at 05:04 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    This is what I did, I downloaded and installed the ClockworkMod superuser app from the Play Store. However, when I run it I get this:

Screenshot_2014-08-24-14-04-55.png

If I tap "Cancel" nothing happens, if I tap "recovery install" the phone reboots but nothing is installed. I get the screen with the Android robot belly up, with the exclamation mark triangle and "Error!". I can then reboot the phone with no harm done, but no superuser either.

The description of the app in the Play Store suggests to download the superuser.zip and install from recovery if in-app update of the binary was not possible, hence the attempt I described in my previous post. I am not interested in flashing new ROMs, therefore unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom recovery is not something I am interested in doing.

Since I see several superuser apps in the Play Store, I assumed it was just a matter of picking and installing one without having to fudge with customer recovery and unlocked bootloader. I guess I am still missing something or simply the ClockworkMod superuser app is not compatible with the M for some mysterious reason.

I did root my previous phone, a HTC Aria, but in that case I did it the "old fashion" way, connecting it to my laptop and running a program on the PC. In that case I did it with ClockworkMod, so along with rooting the phone the PC software installed their customer recovery, superuser app and binary.

Any other idea on why the superuser app can't seem to be able to update the superuser binary?
    Last edited by Batman; 08-24-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Droid Turbo
    32Gb, Metallic Black

Razr M Rooted

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Download super super user for gplay. Install It. Run it.. Tell me what happens.

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Yeah you tried to flash with stock recovery, when the superuser.zip you were using was made for CWM or another non-stock recovery. The stock recovery (I think) will only allow you to flash signed ZIP updates, which the superuser wouldn't be, only offiical OTA ZIP files would probably work.

I'd do like Cliff suggested and try another superuser manager app.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Thanks guys, I installed SuperSU by Chainfire and it works. It did ask to update the binary when I run it the first time, just like the other app, however this time there was an option for "normal" or "recovery install". Selected "normal" and downloaded and installed superuser.zip from within the app.

I guess I misunderstood the way Superuser by CWM works. I thought it was an app independent from their custom recovery, just like SuperSU seems to be.

Oh well, it is good to never stop learning
    Droid Turbo
    32Gb, Metallic Black

Razr M Rooted

Remove Ads

Ads