Register

How to get more free space?

This is a discussion on How to get more free space? within the Droid Razr M Help forums, part of the Droid Razr M category; Hi guys, What would be the best way to conserve the free space on my Razr M (XT907, 4gb ) while using your Safestrap software? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to get more free space?

Member #

How to get more free space?

Hi guys,

What would be the best way to conserve the free space on my Razr M (XT907, 4gb ) while using your Safestrap software? Without having to restore over the Stock rom slot?

I currently have a 32gb external SD card installed in my phone that I am hardly making use of, which is silly. I seemed to have quickly maxed out my phone’s internal SD card 0 shortly after installing a Eclipse mod and snapping a few pictures/videos and installing GTA3 (large game). As simple as this task sounds, I have been unable to find clear instructions online on how to free up my space.

Maybe would there be any way to symlink the entire /safestrap directory to my external SD card? How about changing the default location that my apps/pictures are saved or installed to? (it doesn’t seem that my camera app has any configuration settings to change this location..). I am comfortable connecting via ADB and making changes in Linux if necessary.

Thank you!

jskup

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    The stock camera app does have the option to store pictures and video on the SD card. Tap on the cogwheel in the upper left corner and select Storage Location -> SD Card.

The way the Internal and SD storage are implemented on the latest Android versions drive me nuts too.

It must be related to the trend for some manufacturers of getting away from a SD card slot.
    Droid Turbo
    32Gb, Metallic Black
    Cimo Wave Slim TPU Soft Case Black

Razr M Rooted
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    The stock camera app does have the option to store pictures and video on the SD card. Tap on the cogwheel in the upper left corner and select Storage Location -> SD Card.

The way the Internal and SD storage are implemented on the latest Android versions drive me nuts too.

It must be related to the trend for some manufacturers of getting away from a SD card slot.
    OK, you are right. Just checked my stock and the blur camera has that option.
    Eclipse Mod 1.1 doesn't have the best camera app, no configuration to save pictures to external SD. I think he fixed that so I will upgrade soon. Would still appreciated any advice.

Maybe there is a nifty app that can change or symlink the /data or /safestrap folder ?? :O

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    Safestrap is on its way out. Development for it (the actual app) has stopped and soon ROMs will no longer be made for it. For the time being, I don't have a ton of advice other than to wait for a true ROM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skuppej View Post
    OK, you are right. Just checked my stock and the blur camera has that option.
    Eclipse Mod 1.1 doesn't have the best camera app, no configuration to save pictures to external SD. I think he fixed that so I will upgrade soon. Would still appreciated any advice.

Maybe there is a nifty app that can change or symlink the /data or /safestrap folder ?? :O
    Yes, that is available on Eclipse 1.2. I'm running Eclipse on stock slot for that very reason.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCliffGo05 View Post
    Safestrap is on its way out. Development for it (the actual app) has stopped and soon ROMs will no longer be made for it. For the time being, I don't have a ton of advice other than to wait for a true ROM.
    :O
    We'll see what HashOfCodes has to say about that. Regardless, his software (Safestrap) appears to be the only way at the moment get custom roms loaded on the Razr M. I don't imagine I will be ditching it any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hillmom View Post
    Yes, that is available on Eclipse 1.2. I'm running Eclipse on stock slot for that very reason.
    You are a bold, bold man (mom?). I already bricked one device after uninstalling Safestrap (so I had no way of getting back into the Recovery Console) and playing around with BusyBox. I was stuck on a Fastboot loop, and, to top it all off, RSD Lite would fail with an "unknown" error every time when I tried to restore to stock. Luckily, Verizon covered an RMA

But moral of the story to me was not to ever uninstall/compromise Safestrap or the stock rom for that matter.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skuppej View Post
    You are a bold, bold man (mom?). I already bricked one device after uninstalling Safestrap (so I had no way of getting back into the Recovery Console) and playing around with BusyBox. I was stuck on a Fastboot loop, and, to top it all off, RSD Lite would fail with an "unknown" error every time when I tried to restore to stock. Luckily, Verizon covered an RMA

But moral of the story to me was not to ever uninstall/compromise Safestrap or the stock rom for that matter.
    Yes, I'm a woman and mother of 3.

I'm not sure what happened in your case. I've had several ROMs on stock slot and have even done a uneventful fastboot with a custom ROM on stock. This doesn't seem to be a common problem. What exactly did you do, when this happened?

Member #
    Yes, I'm a woman and mother of 3.

I'm not sure what happened in your case. I've had several ROMs on stock slot and have even done a uneventful fastboot with a custom ROM on stock. This doesn't seem to be a common problem. What exactly did you do, when this happened?
    Lets see. I booted into my Stock slot. I installed BusyBox (involved method). Then I uninstalled BusyBox and uninstalled Safestrap and rebooted. Then I was presented with the robot guy when I tried to boot. At the time I didn't realize that I could access the Recovery Console by pressing Power + Up toggle at the same time, so I Googled around and went the Fastboot route and tried flashing to stock with RSD Lite. It would fail on step 14 or something--at recovery.sys, I believe. Then I tried editing the dastboot VZW_XT907_4.0.4-7.7.1Q-144_SMQ_S1-36-10_CFC.xml file to rearrange the order of the flashing to see if I could bypass step 14. I was half successful, but other *.sys files would not flash; I believe this botched things even more.

By the end, it was like 4am and I was stuck with a nasty error in a Fastboot loop of something to the effect of "system.sys is corrupt", and I knew that I was ****ed at that point. That was a sad, sad moment.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    I'm pretty sure that SS uses BusyBox, so uninstalling in that order could have caused problems. Also overwriting the existing BusyBox could have caused many a problem.

We're you on JB? It looks like you were using the ICS fastboot file. A bad download could also be a problem. Did you check MD5 sums?

Of course none of that really matters now. If you choose to use SS and have a custom ROM in slot 1, then it will take up most of your intern storage. That is just the nature of the beast. Saving photos, video, podcasts, etc to your external SD is really the only thing you can do.
    Mimo likes this.

Member #
    I'm pretty sure that SS uses BusyBox, so uninstalling in that order could have caused problems. Also overwriting the existing BusyBox could have caused many a problem.
    We're you on JB? It looks like you were using the ICS fastboot file. A bad download could also be a problem. Did you check MD5 sums?
    Of course none of that really matters now. If you choose to use SS and have a custom ROM in slot 1, then it will take up most of your intern storage. That is just the nature of the beast. Saving photos, video, podcasts, etc to your external SD is really the only thing you can do.
    Yeah, pretty sure BusyBox did it. Yes, I had updated my stock rom to JB. I believe I used the JB fastboot files. Should I have instead used the ICS fastboot files? And, do you check the MD5 sum in RSD Lite directly? Don't know if I did that..
    And, yes, so I am looking for the best method to go about using my 32gb external SD as my primary storage location. Going to try out this "Link2SD" program. Thanks for listening

-skup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads