Register

Block OTA updates

This is a discussion on Block OTA updates within the Droid Razr M Development forums, part of the Droid Razr M category; What is the best (and reversible ) way to prevent automatic OTA upgrade to Jelly Bean, whenever it will be made available? I have had ...

Member #
    Liked
    74 times

Block OTA updates

What is the best (and reversible ) way to prevent automatic OTA upgrade to Jelly Bean, whenever it will be made available?

I have had my Razr M for over a month and I got to the point where I have it fine tuned exactly how I like it. I am not interested in being a jelly Bean early adopter (a.k.a. guinea pig), which the Razr M is slated to get by year end. The M is my work phone and I need a reliable tool, period, not a "bleeding edge" device (although with Jelly Bean will hardly be bleeding edge by the time is finally released for our Moto phones )

I am probably going to Jelly Bean eventually, but I'd rather do it on my own terms and after having evaluated if it is worth it. As it is, I am pretty happy with ICS.

Thanks!
    Droid Turbo
    32Gb, Metallic Black
    Cimo Wave Slim TPU Soft Case Black

Razr M Rooted
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times

Re: Block OTA updates

Haven't tested this on the HD but coming from the X2 you could do two things. You could use Titanium Backup to freeze the updater.apk. the other way was to use an app like root explorer and rename the updater.apk to updater.apk.bak. If you use titanium just unfreeze whenever you are ready to update. If you use the second option just delete the .bak from the name.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Thank you GoCliffGo05. I suppose I need to be rooted to use either one of the methods? This is my work phone, rooting is not an option for me at this time.

This morning I got the pop-up message window with the notification of an update being available. I clicked on "later" before the 30 sec. to automatic download expired, as I am still not ready to take the plunge. I went into "App" in the settings, but of course I can only force close Updater, I cannot disable it.

Is there any way to prevent the phone from auto-checking for an update that does not require to be rooted?
    Droid Turbo
    32Gb, Metallic Black
    Cimo Wave Slim TPU Soft Case Black

Razr M Rooted
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    325 times

Oh yea both require root... I'm not sure of another way.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    What is the best (and reversible ) way to prevent automatic OTA upgrade to Jelly Bean, whenever it will be made available?

I have had my Razr M for over a month and I got to the point where I have it fine tuned exactly how I like it. I am not interested in being a jelly Bean early adopter (a.k.a. guinea pig), which the Razr M is slated to get by year end. The M is my work phone and I need a reliable tool, period, not a "bleeding edge" device (although with Jelly Bean will hardly be bleeding edge by the time is finally released for our Moto phones )

I am probably going to Jelly Bean eventually, but I'd rather do it on my own terms and after having evaluated if it is worth it. As it is, I am pretty happy with ICS.

Thanks!
    As long as you have a Nandroid backup you can alternate between ICS and JellyBean...take the OTA and tweak as you go...its Not an issue ...just follow your protocol with backups...

Its Bubba

Wow!
    What A Day Of Fishing...

Its Bubba..

Remove Ads

Ads