Register

Antivirus/Malware for Android

This is a discussion on Antivirus/Malware for Android within the Droid Razr JB General Discussion forums, part of the Droid Razr JellyBean Forum category; Off and on there has been a lot of discussion about the need (or lack of a need) for antivirus/malware protection for Android. I came ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times

Antivirus/Malware for Android

Off and on there has been a lot of discussion about the need (or lack of a need) for antivirus/malware protection for Android. I came across this article and thought it provided some good insight regarding present and future concerns. Android's growing popularity will only make it a more likely target for malicious software and applications down the road. Readers can make their own determination about the efficacy of protective software, I just thought I would provide a resource.

Best Free Antivirus App for Android
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Its an interesting topic. I run Zoner because it blocks phone calls and texts from those who think they know how to sell. No idea how good it is as an antivirus, but it works great for blocking calls!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    393 times
    Very interesting topic and Great information ToeJamm. Since Android is Linux based I've never seen the need for any type of Antivirus.

After reading through all the information I downloaded this one just for fun... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obile.security

And I found that one of my apps is a minor security threat.
    Last edited by ToeJamm; 04-28-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    I use lookout as does my Mum . I have to have it on all the time so she knows where IM at in case something happens to me. You can find your Droid's location with the missing Droid feature. All she had to do is locate Maxx. And lookout can detect a virus a mile away. I hate Norton it sucks. It doesn't even work on my laptop half the time. Its too bad lookout doesn't make a version for PC's

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Very interesting topic and Great information ToeJamm. Since Android is Linux based I've never seen the need for any type of Antivirus.

After reading through all the information I downloaded this one just for fun... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obile.security

And I found that one of my apps is a minor security threat.
    Yeah, I don't think viruses are the issue because of the way Android works but malware is an entire different issue. The frightening part is when you read that Android's popularity makes it a challenge for the sick hackers out there. I also found an app (card game) that had a moderate level of concern.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeJamm View Post
    Yeah, I don't think viruses are the issue because of the way Android works but malware is an entire different issue. The frightening part is when you read that Android's popularity makes it a challenge for the sick hackers out there. I also found an app (card game) that had a moderate level of concern.
    My thoughts exactly. But I also believe if people would pay closer attention to "Permissions" that might prevent a lot of problems also.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    393 times

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Wouldnt having an av sacrifice some battery life? I use McAfee on mine and I have noticed it

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Quote Originally Posted by parthtc09 View Post
    Wouldnt having an av sacrifice some battery life? I use McAfee on mine and I have noticed it
    I read in the posted article that TrustGo is a low power user. I've been using it for a few days and don't see it having much of an impact. Give it a try and see what you find. You can always remove it.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    393 times
    I'm trying it out because its also the highest rated. Not sure if it does anything... we shall see.

Remove Ads

Ads