Register

Battery life on JELLY BEAN ?

This is a discussion on Battery life on JELLY BEAN ? within the Droid Razr JB General Discussion forums, part of the Droid Razr JellyBean Forum category; In one word terrible. I updated on 3/14/13. I am not a heavy user, 100 minutes phone, 50 MB data, 500 MB wifi. I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Battery life on JELLY BEAN ?

Member #
    In one word terrible. I updated on 3/14/13. I am not a heavy user, 100 minutes phone, 50 MB data, 500 MB wifi. I have mobile data off all the time except the few times I need it. WIFI on except for night. My average battery life was 3 days 12 hours.
    after update I will be lucky to get 24 hours. Did an ES Task Manager wipe cache. I have been selectively deleting apps have not found what causing problems. Screen battery usage seems high. Anybody else had this bad a problem??

Member #

Re: Battery life on JELLY BEAN ?

Quote Originally Posted by ASTEVE View Post
    In one word terrible. I updated on 3/14/13. I am not a heavy user, 100 minutes phone, 50 MB data, 500 MB wifi. I have mobile data off all the time except the few times I need it. WIFI on except for night. My average battery life was 3 days 12 hours.
    after update I will be lucky to get 24 hours. Did an ES Task Manager wipe cache. I have been selectively deleting apps have not found what causing problems. Screen battery usage seems high. Anybody else had this bad a problem??
    Not trying to say you're wrong since the soak I did an FDR cleared cache and my battery life is hell of a lot better... for example 4/15/13 last night at work 3g only no 4v there but I'm a heavy user forums games automotive junk and from 8pm 4/14/13 to 8:49 am 4/15/13 4 hours idle rest of time zoned in. On my phone placed on charger when it hit 20 @8:49

Member #

I would kill to get that much life but my phone is now comp/phone/camera

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ASTEVE View Post
    I am having the exact same problem!!! My battery life is horrible since the update. It will go down about 10% an hour and that is with me doing NOTHING with the phone!!

Downloaded Gsam battery monitor and nothing has really jumped out at me for causing the battery drain.

Edited to add: went and downloaded the ES Task Manager you mentioned and did the wipe cache. Will see if that helps at all....fingers crossed!!!
    Last edited by LoriO; 03-17-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    I haven't noticed much of a change but I've wondered if the Google Now app running in the background may be part of the culprit (depending on which cards are set up to run).

For example, this morning when I got to work I was down to 94% and I checked the battery status and saw that Google Maps had taken 3% during the hour and a half since being unplugged. I had not used Google Maps but then remembered I've been seeing a Google Now notification called "Time to Home" that uses Google Maps to provide a traffic report for my home drive. There are also score updates for last night's hockey game, and weather as well.

My point is, perhaps we should experiment with what cards we have running on Google Now. The updates being provided to these cards must be drawing energy. What I don't know is how this will appear on the battery monitor. I am only theorizing that the "Time to Home" card would be allocated as Maps on the battery meter. I have never noticed a category on the meter called Google Now.
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    Taking a closer look at the Google Now question I raise above I am wondering if this may not be the culprit for some of the battery drain problems. Going under the Google Now settings there were quite a few cards (weather, sports, events, traffic, etc) all set as a default to "On". I don't claim to be expert on the subject but if they are set to "on" I have to believe that there are sync episodes going on in the background.
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    262 times

You're spot on TJ. Google Now can be a big battery hog if its on constantly.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    I think the people having major issues (10% drain per hour) are having bigger issues than the OS. I took my phone off the charger 10.5 hours ago, and played Pandora (on wifi) all night while sleeping. I'm at 71%, with GSAM listing 25h+ life remaining. The screen was off all night, but I do have 32m of screen on time (checked things when I woke up, etc), and I streamed Pandora for about 1h15m on my way to work.

As for app suckers, Maps has 1.4% Google Search is at 0.1%. I too have Time To Work/Home in Google Now (and did check it this morning to see what my drive 4" of snow we got overnight would look like), as well as stocks, weather and hockey scores. I don't think Google Now is the issue here. However, it does say that you can improve location accuracy with wifi, so being on wifi may not require the use of GPS for these cards, but who knows...

EDIT: I did not do a FDR when taking JB. I sideloaded, and did wipe system cache partition. This is a newer device (it had ICS preloaded when I got it), so it has only been through one OS update. People having issues should FDR if they never have before. I'm guessing they have a fair amount of junk and scraps from the various OS versions over the last year or so.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Update 20:57 CDT - 19h59m19s off charger, 41% charge remaining. 1h20m screen on time (busy day at work :P). 15.4% usage was Pandora (~5 hours streaming), 1.5% usage was Maps, 0.2% was Google Search. I don't think Google Now is a battery sucker, but it may depend on your cards and how frequently you're moving around.

GSAM says 14h44m left with average usage today so far. It will decline sharply now that I'm home from work, but it will easily last me the rest of the night and make it over 24 hours on this charge.
    The persuader likes this.
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Final update before bed. If you're having as many battery issues as you say you are, I would check out the app sucker portion of GSAM and see what is using the battery. I find that most often people that complain about battery usage also have very high screen brightness and a very long screen timeout. I use auto-brightness and a 30 second time out (select apps use longer timeouts with Tasker).

I understand that you are frustrated with the performance after the switch, but I would certainly try some of the suggestions that the great users here are offering instead of just starting multiple threads complaining about the update.

Screenshot_2013-03-19-02-17-45.png
    Twitter

Ads