Register

Disable Apps

This is a discussion on Disable Apps within the Droid Razr ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Droid Razr Ice Cream Sandwich Forum category; I found this as a result of trying to fix a minor annoyance in ICS. I noticed that anytime I started typing, there was a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Disable Apps

Member #
    Liked
    97 times

Disable Apps

I found this as a result of trying to fix a minor annoyance in ICS.

I noticed that anytime I started typing, there was a "select input method" icon in the notification area. A few Google searches suggested that this is a "feature" of ICS, and appears anytime you're not using stock Android keyboard. Suggestions said to uncheck all other input methods except what you're using (I use Swiftkey 3). I was not able to uncheck the other methods, but I did go the next step, which was to Disable the apps altogether.

If you go to App Management, and then the All tab (far right), and find the app in question, you can disable it by pressing the button on the right (next to Force Stop). I disabled Motorola input, as well as Swype, and rebooted. Now the notification doesn't pop up.

I also Disabled several other apps such as Kindle, VZ Navigator, Slingbox, MOG Music, NFL Mobile, among others. It appears that they were all removed from my app tray, with the exception of Kindle.

Just thought I'd share

fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Also, the Disabled apps move to the very bottom of the list in the "All" tab.
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Ok. So not sure what happened, but the input selection notification came back now. But, the disabled apps are still gone from my menu.
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Yup. First thing I did was start disabling every useless thing.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    I assume using the built in Disable function is safer than using TiBu to remove stuff? I'd like to remove all the stuff I never plan to use like Play Movies and Play Music, as well.
    Twitter

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    406 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fury View Post
    I assume using the built in Disable function is safer than using TiBu to remove stuff? I'd like to remove all the stuff I never plan to use like Play Movies and Play Music, as well.
    Disable what you don't use for a week or so. If you have no issues after that, use anttek app manager (free) or TiBu Pro to freeze the apps. Wait a few weeks, then delete them if you wish (deleting is not advisable).

You should probably make a nandroid of full stock first, as we don't have an ICS 211 fastboot (yet)

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    How do I nandroid on the Razr? I was under the impression that CWM was not available for it, and never investigated options such as fastboot or safeboot, as my experience revolves solely around CWM for backups and flashing.
    Twitter

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    406 times
    There s a bootstrapper for razr ICS, also a second type of bootstrapper called safestrap for enabling CWM,
    Bootstrapper for ICS

Also Matt's utility 1.7, and I believe 1.6, will install either for you, just pick one or the other, don't install both, they don't play nice together

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Thanks Harley. I guess I hadn't heard anyone refer to it as Boostrap before, which i am familiar with. I used the Droid 2 Bootstrap on my DX, to boot into CWM. I do have Matt's utility on my PC, so I will add that in and make a backup.

That just flashes on to the phone in it's current state, right?

Thanks!
    Twitter

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    406 times
    Yup. If you go into the files folder of Matt's utility, you'll see the apk's for safestrap and bootstrap. You can install via Matt's utility, which just does an adb push, or you can drop one of the apks on your sd card and install like any other apk, just like you installed DX bootstrapper.

NOTE Only install one, they don't play well together.

Bootstrapper is the same CWM you remember from the X, works exactly the same.
    ASafestrap is a somewhat different (and some think) improved version. First safety measure, every reboot of the phone will give you the option of booting to CWM recovery. In addition, if you flash a ROM, it gets flashed to the pre-install partition, and does not replace your stock OS, so you always have the original OS to boot to if you have a problem with the ROM you install.
    I use safestrap myself, but I'm only using it for nandroids, I like the stock rooted ICS enough that I don't "need" to find a better ROM

Ads