Register

ICS battery life

This is a discussion on ICS battery life within the Droid Razr ICS General Discussion forums, part of the Droid Razr Ice Cream Sandwich Forum category; Originally Posted by dr_edwards Judging by your monitor percentages, the screen is using it up. I usually keep my brightness settings below 25% except when ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: ICS battery life

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_edwards View Post
    Judging by your monitor percentages, the screen is using it up. I usually keep my brightness settings below 25% except when outside and then I use autobright. I use smart actions like when on wifi screen set is 25%. However, I was getting the results you were until I did the recalibration. See my earlier post. I bet you would see better results after a recalibration if you haven't done so yet. I was impressed. Keep in mind, I have a Razr Maxx stock. Are you Razr or RMaxx? Give it a try and let us know.
    I was considering doing a stats wipe, but I've seen this article in quite a few places, so it's useless..

Google Engineer Debunks Myth: Wiping Battery Stats Does Not Improve Battery Life – xda-developers

I am on a Razr Maxx. I use auto brightness at all times, and yesterday I was in the mostly dark house for the entire day and my screen was at "Dim" for >95% of the time. Today so far I'm at 86% after 2h35m.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Originally Posted by dr_edwards
    Judging by your monitor percentages, the screen is using it up. I usually keep my brightness settings below 25% except when outside and then I use autobright. I use smart actions like when on wifi screen set is 25%. However, I was getting the results you were until I did the recalibration. See my earlier post. I bet you would see better results after a recalibration if you haven't done so yet. I was impressed. Keep in mind, I have a Razr Maxx stock. Are you Razr or RMaxx? Give it a try and let us know.
    I was considering doing a stats wipe, but I've seen this article in quite a few places, so it's useless..

Google Engineer Debunks Myth: Wiping Battery Stats Does Not Improve Battery Life – xda-developers

I am on a Razr Maxx. I use auto brightness at all times, and yesterday I was in the mostly dark house for the entire day and my screen was at "Dim" for >95% of the time. Today so far I'm at 86% after 2h35m.
    Stats wipe doesn't work ...Better to go to Starbucks for a Iced Green Tea with lemonade ...its Awesome

It's Bubba

Wow!
    What A Day Of Fishing...

Its Bubba..

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fury View Post

I'm not sure of what the procedure is of a "stats wipe" described in that article. All I know is turning your phone off, charging it to full while off, running it all day to 10%, turn off and recharge to full again has worked. It doesn't harm anything and it is easy to do. I did it 5 days ago and now I only charge at night, phone on, while sleeping to full charge and disconnect when I wake up at 6am. I went ahead and posted my battery stats pic although I am not going to charge it habitually tonight to see what the true average will be. I just wanted to show you where I was today. I am going to run it down to 10% with normal usage just to see what the hours meter will be, then take a pic and upload it. You should be getting better life, I do agree with Bubba to watch out for too many background widgets and apps running. I have 4 seperate weather widgets running as well as facebook, news, and twitter widgets. Note that my wifi is running and I have a smart action that turns off cellular data when connected to wifi. Otherwise, it would show 4GLTE. Gonna have to try that Iced Green Tea there Bubba, lol!

Screenshot_2012-07-22-18-25-52.png
    Last edited by dr_edwards; 07-22-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Ok so maybe "calibrating" the battery is different than wiping the stats file. Today I am having very similar usage to yesterday, and the stats are reflecting about the same. I can see that some of my values are almost identical to yours, for times and percentages.

EDIT: Percentages are the same for the individual components, not the actual overall time/usage.

I only use two widgets on my phone, a calendar/agenda one that refreshes hourly, and the power control widget. The rest are all just app shortcuts. I use Maildroid, which I am nearly certain uses push email, Plume (Twitter) polls for updates every 15 minutes, Wordfeud uses push, Words With Friends polls every 30 minutes. Aside from that, everything else is set to run on manual/foreground only updates.

Questions about the calibration... Can I get it up to say 90% charged with it on/using it, shut it off, and let it get the rest of the way? Furthermore, you said use it all day down to 10%, what if I was to perform actions to intentionally kill it faster? Such as full brightness, screen always on, music playing, etc. Would that sway the results?

I ask because I have to keep my phone on for work, so I'd like to minimize the amount of time that I have it shut off. I may try to get it full charged tonight, and do the drain overnight, so that I can shut if off and fully charge it tomorrow while I'm at work...
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Ok so maybe "calibrating" the battery is different than wiping the stats file. Today I am having very similar usage to yesterday, and the stats are reflecting about the same. I can see that some of my values are almost identical to yours, for times and percentages.

EDIT: Percentages are the same for the individual components, not the actual overall time/usage.

I only use two widgets on my phone, a calendar/agenda one that refreshes hourly, and the power control widget. The rest are all just app shortcuts. I use Maildroid, which I am nearly certain uses push email, Plume (Twitter) polls for updates every 15 minutes, Wordfeud uses push, Words With Friends polls every 30 minutes. Aside from that, everything else is set to run on manual/foreground only updates.

Questions about the calibration... Can I get it up to say 90% charged with it on/using it, shut it off, and let it get the rest of the way? Furthermore, you said use it all day down to 10%, what if I was to perform actions to intentionally kill it faster? Such as full brightness, screen always on, music playing, etc. Would that sway the results?

I ask because I have to keep my phone on for work, so I'd like to minimize the amount of time that I have it shut off. I may try to get it full charged tonight, and do the drain overnight, so that I can shut if off and fully charge it tomorrow while I'm at work...
    As far as the way the forum member "Foxkat" states: You should probably do it exactly as he described. There are a few posts on here by him. I would just bite the bullet, make arrangements for other ways for someone to call you while your phone is off.
    No matter where you are on the battery, turn it off when you are ready to start calibrating (at any level). Plug it in and let in charge to 100%. You can check the status by hitting the volume key while it is off. Next, use it as usual but drain it down to 10%, I think you could put 100% bright to speed it up. Here is where you are resetting the low limit. Once at 10% then turn it off, charge it to 100%. You don't have to turn it on immediately when it hits 100% each time. Just turn it on when you notice it has reached 100%. For me, that would be when I wake up. It does require about 2 days to do it. When you turn it on the second time, reset badA*** battery meter under preferences. This will start the new average with the recalibration. You should also notice at this point that the time remainings and averages are quite higher. They will settle down after a couple of days of normal usage. After you have done the steps exactly, then you can charge with the phone on. According to Foxkat you should do this every 3 or 4 months. Hope this helps and post a pic when you have done it (probably by Weds).
    Last edited by dr_edwards; 07-22-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I'm not sure of what the procedure is of a "stats wipe" described in that article. All I know is turning your phone off, charging it to full while off, running it all day to 10%, turn off and recharge to full again has worked. It doesn't harm anything and it is easy to do. I did it 5 days ago and now I only charge at night, phone on, while sleeping to full charge and disconnect when I wake up at 6am. I went ahead and posted my battery stats pic although I am not going to charge it habitually tonight to see what the true average will be. I just wanted to show you where I was today. I am going to run it down to 10% with normal usage just to see what the hours meter will be, then take a pic and upload it. You should be getting better life, I do agree with Bubba to watch out for too many background widgets and apps running. I have 4 seperate weather widgets running as well as facebook, news, and twitter widgets. Note that my wifi is running and I have a smart action that turns off cellular data when connected to wifi. Otherwise, it would show 4GLTE. Gonna have to try that Iced Green Tea there Bubba, lol!

Attachment 1021
    Dont forget...With lemonade...No sugar shots...the lemonade takes care of the Natural Sweetener....

Its Bubba
    dr_edwards likes this.

Wow!
    What A Day Of Fishing...

Its Bubba..

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    As far as the way the forum member "Foxkat" states: You should probably do it exactly as he described. There are a few posts on here by him. I would just bite the bullet, make arrangements for other ways for someone to call you while your phone is off.
    No matter where you are on the battery, turn it off when you are ready to start calibrating (at any level). Plug it in and let in charge to 100%. You can check the status by hitting the volume key while it is off. Next, use it as usual but drain it down to 10%, I think you could put 100% bright to speed it up. Here is where you are resetting the low limit. Once at 10% then turn it off, charge it to 100%. You don't have to turn it on immediately when it hits 100% each time. Just turn it on when you notice it has reached 100%. For me, that would be when I wake up. It does require about 2 days to do it. When you turn it on the second time, reset badA*** battery meter under preferences. This will start the new average with the recalibration. You should also notice at this point that the time remainings and averages are quite higher. They will settle down after a couple of days of normal usage. After you have done the steps exactly, then you can charge with the phone on. According to Foxkat you should do this every 3 or 4 months. Hope this helps and post a pic when you have done it (probably by Weds).
    So I should do the "calibration" twice consecutively?
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    So I should do the "calibration" twice consecutively?
    Just once. One calibration is turning off, charge to 100%, draining down to 10%, off, then charge back to 100%. Then use normally...

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Got it. I thought I had to drain down again after the second charge. I'm charging it to 100% now, will keep it off charger tonight and try to drain it tomorrow while at work.

Anyone know how long it takes to charge to full from 10% with the device off? Just need to get an idea of how long I need to bribe my coworker to be on-call for me for tomorrow night :P
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Got it. I thought I had to drain down again after the second charge. I'm charging it to 100% now, will keep it off charger tonight and try to drain it tomorrow while at work.

Anyone know how long it takes to charge to full from 10% with the device off? Just need to get an idea of how long I need to bribe my coworker to be on-call for me for tomorrow night :P
    about 6 hours more or less. You can check the status level while it is off by pressing the volume key up or down once.

Ads