Register

Install the ICS leak without Cheesecake and retain root

This is a discussion on Install the ICS leak without Cheesecake and retain root within the Droid Razr ICS Development forums, part of the Droid Razr Ice Cream Sandwich Forum category; Edit: NOTE: there is now an automated install option for the ICS leak, go here: Link deleted, the automated installer was updated to install the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Install the ICS leak without Cheesecake and retain root

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    418 times

Install the ICS leak without Cheesecake and retain root

Edit: NOTE: there is now an automated install option for the ICS leak, go here: Link deleted, the automated installer was updated to install the newest leak version 6.14.84. We at RzF STRONGLY advise NOT to install the .84 or .85 leaks

Edit added 4/28: NOTE: Two new leaks have appeared, do NOT install them.
    These instructions here are for 6.14.75, do not install new leaks 6.14.84 or 6.14.85, there is no recovery yet, and no way back to a previous version

NOTE: Attempt this at YOUR own RISK. Razrforums.com, staff, nor anyone else is responsible for what YOU do to your phone.

That said, I have just easily installed the ICS leak (it is sweet), and retained root.
    We have also confirmed thru multiple staffers (myself included) you can fastboot back to .173
    NOTE: We have no way of knowing if this will throw you off the official upgrade path.
    Assume it will, so be prepared to fastboot back to stock if you upgrade now

One more NOTE: As you need to be on stock .173 to install, it is strongly recommended to use Matt's utility to return to stock .173 and wipe data factory reset before starting the procedure. (If you are on stock .173, at least do the factory reset to avoid potential app issues)
    Latest Motorola drivers v5.50

All credit for the install goes to Vicious over at droidrazr.com

1) Download this torrent.

NOTE: Torrent appears to be pulled. We have found links to the full ICS install. File is almost 1/2 Gig, it will take a long time, we recommend downloading to a PC, not to phone over 3G
    GoogleDocs Link 1 ICS 6.14.75
    Rapidshare Link 2 ICS 6.14.75

2) Make sure you have ROM Manager (free), ES File Explorer (also free, Make sure root access and system writable are enabled in the ES file explorer settings), and have root access to your system but are on an otherwise stock COMPLETELY UNMODIFIED installation of 173. In ROM Manager, DO NOT INSTALL CLOCKWORKMOD. Just have the ROM Manager app itself installed.

2a) If you plan to have root after the update, make sure you have voodoo OTA Rootkeeper protecting your root before proceeding. (Install it, free in the market, open it and select protect root.)

3) Copy the 2 files from that torrent into your /cache folder on the root of your system (see the picss below, just press the indicated buttons in es file)

4) When the copy operation is complete, tap the zip file and select ROM Manager when it asks you what to use to open the file.

5) ROM Manager will automatically open and prompt you that a reboot is necessary to complete the operation. Hit OK/Accept.

6) The system will reboot and install the ICS leak.

Getting root back, next post

shot_000001.jpgshot_000002.jpg

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    Credit for the "return to root" commands to dhacker
    To return your device to rooted state.

1)Download terminal emulator, free in the market

2) Open voodoo OTA rootkeeper and click restore root

3) Open terminal emulator, type the following 3 lines exactly, hitting enter after each line (don't miss the spaces)

/system/su-backup
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/system /system
    cp /system/su-backup /system/bin/su

voila, rooted ICS, very tasty

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    Excellent news! I was wondering what I would do if I some how messed my installation up. This solves that problem!

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Great find HD! Awesome news for those wanting to test out ICS...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Hummm. "Open and select protect root". I probably should have done that step, lol. Oh well. I'm guessing to go back, I've got to run RSD and take out everything, right?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Heck I don't know a thing about torrents... which is probably rare these days. Do I need a program or something to run that torrent file?
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    Hummm. "Open and select protect root". I probably should have done that step, lol. Oh well. I'm guessing to go back, I've got to run RSD and take out everything, right?
    Yeah I think that's pretty much your only way unfortunately...

Got the torrent thing figured out (duh) and thinking about giving this a shot. I keep hearing how awesome ICS is on this phone.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thank you for this. This was amazingly easy and ics is awesome. It seems so much more intuitive than it was on my old nexus. I love it.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Heck I don't know a thing about torrents... which is probably rare these days. Do I need a program or something to run that torrent file?
    bittorrent is a way to download. It's very popular as it is a shared download/upload procedure, everybody who downloads also uploads at the same time, and the file is pulled from multiple uploaders at the same time.

You do need to install a bittiorrent client on your PC

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDude View Post
    bittorrent is a way to download. It's very popular as it is a shared download/upload procedure, everybody who downloads also uploads at the same time, and the file is pulled from multiple uploaders at the same time.

You do need to install a bittiorrent client on your PC
    A quick Google search led me to utorrent last night, which seemed to work well. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet as I want to grab the 181 file first...

Ads