Register

Safestrap: "safe" side ROM black screen, error when trying switch to "un-safe" side

This is a discussion on Safestrap: "safe" side ROM black screen, error when trying switch to "un-safe" side within the Droid RAZR Help forums, part of the Droid RAZR Support Forum category; Hi guys! I tried to root and flash a custom rom to my phone yesterday. I spent hours reading about it so it would get ...

Member #

Safestrap: "safe" side ROM black screen, error when trying switch to "un-safe" side

Hi guys!

I tried to root and flash a custom rom to my phone yesterday. I spent hours reading about it so it would get done right, but obviously I did a mistake.

I have a XT910 with 4.0.4 as stock. Long story short: I think I did all the steps correct except I installed an old version of safestrap, which I think is the source of the problem. I'm now stuck in "safe" mode. I can't launch the ROM (black screen) and when I try to switch back to "unsafe" mode an error occurs, saying "error when loading /data" (or similair).

After I have done some reading I think I kinda know what have happened: By using safestrap 2.1.1 and trying to flash the latest PACman ROM (using a different way to handle files than the old safestrap, using slots and partitions), the files on the phone somehow have gotten screwed up/corrupt, maybe on both my "safe" and "un-safe" side. I did however do a Nandroid backup of my stock system/"un-safe" side in safestrap before I started messing with the files that sits on my external sd-card.

I think, though, I may have come up with two possible solutions. Since I'm new to this I would be very grateful if you experts could review the possible solutions and say if you think any of them will work.

1. Do a "quick toggle" in safestrap (I think it means I will switch to un-safe mode without toggling the /data and other files) and then restore the backup I made. Should I wipe the /system and /data before trying to restore the backup this way?

2. Do a SBF flash to 4.0.4, then again root and install safestrap 2.1.1 and use it to restore the backup. Is there any obvious problems I've missed with this solution?

Anyone have a better suggestion on how I could do? Is any of the above more dangerous than the other? The most important thing for me is to get a working phone again, getting my data back is a big plus though.

I would be really grateful for any input!

Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    I can’t speak to the steps you mentioned specifically, as I’ve never done them, and have little experience with Safe Strap. A few months ago I tried it out and put CM 10.2 (Android 4.3) on my XT912 Razr Maxx and ran into some issues after I inadvertently wiped the stock slot.

I used Razr Utility to reflash back to full stock and rerooted, but didn’t try any restore efforts. I had made a backup of my stock slot before wiping it, but restoring my backup didn’t work. I also tried just wiping it so I could boot stock without my data, but that didn’t work either. The phone seemed to boot, but the screen wouldn’t come on.

The steps you outlined sound correct in theory, but it’s hard to say without actually trying it or having done it before.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted. The folks here are great at offering fixes and such. Just make sure your battery doesn’t die! I’ve had issues with that too
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    Thanks for the info!

From what I have understood though, Razr Utility only is for XT912, and doesn't work with my gsm version. It seems like a really good tool though, so if I'm wrong please correct me And I was really paranoid about the battery at first, but the phone seems to be charging as usual, so I hope there's no problem there. But thanks for the heads up!

From your thread I just realized another possible solution: Quick toggle and then try a factory reset. I have some questions about this one also though.

When I installed the ROM I sorta followed some guides. One of the steps were "1. Wipe Data / Factory Reset". Since I did this, wouldn't this effectively eliminate my chances to try a Factory reset through safestrap? Or do safestrap backup the reset files somewhere? -- EDIT: I just realised I think I did this on the "safe" side, thus leaving my "un-safe" factory reset untouched. If that side still is untouched that is...

I also found this on the internetz: "i had the same problems a couple of times trying to toggle back to non-safe eclipse and get error restoring /data after the initial toggle to safe mode. this left me stuck in safe mode. the way i fixed it was quick toggle back to non-safe then did a full wipe and restore my backup of eclipse 2.1 before i enabled safe mode." This guy seems to have Eclipse on un-safe side instead of stock, but it should be the same thing in theory, right?

I'm willing to test a little, but I'm unsure how dangerous it is to use the quick toggle feature (since it say "DANGEROUS"...). If it turns out I brick my phone because of quick toggle issues when it could have been fixed with a SBF flash it would be quite the nuisance. Also, I'm not sure what a full wipe really means; cache, dalvik and data? System also?
    Last edited by cooflar; 10-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Sorry, I thought the XT910 was the Razr model number (vs. Razr Maxx), didn't know it was the GSM model.

If you have the SBF files, and can get into Fastboot mode, you should be able to restore should whatever you are trying to do not work properly. Once again, I can't vouch for that as I've never done it and I am not familiar with that hardware and those files.

It seems like you have a pretty good handle on the process, but feel free to keep us updated here, others may be able to chime in as well.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    As a courtesy to others who may find themselves in the same situation:

I went with the SBF-flash, and it worked. Oddly enough, I had all my data and settings back right on startup (except the homescreen widgets, thay had defaulted). Which means I didn't even have to try to recover the data. I have no idea how this happened. The only thing I lost (except the widgets) is root access.

I used the following youtube-guide, which really walked me through it: . Watch the whole video once before starting and be sure to find the correct SBF-file for your phone and region.

See you the next time I've gotten myself into trouble!

Remove Ads

Ads