Register

Apps won't update

This is a discussion on Apps won't update within the Droid RAZR Help forums, part of the Droid RAZR Support Forum category; The second soft reset brought the play store back, but it's still having the same update problems. I'm on the east coast and done dealing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Apps won't update

Member #
    The second soft reset brought the play store back, but it's still having the same update problems. I'm on the east coast and done dealing with this for tonight. Thanks for the help

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    310 times

Re: Apps won't update

Before you reset, contact Verizon and see if they have anything helpful to say... they will probably tell you to reset but you never know.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    I've had this same problem with my Razr. When it attempts to update more than one app at a time it just hangs with the blue install line showing it is loading. This got so bad I turned automatic updating off and now I have to manually update one app at a time (a drag).

My Asus tablet seems to be able to handle automatic updates quickly and efficiently but not my Razr. I regularly clear cache and do soft resets a couple times a week but none of that has helped. Being on WiFi or over the air doesn't seem to make a difference. I subscribed to this thread with the hope someone may have the answer. For now I am left with single manual updates.
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Member #
    Liked
    73 times

Re: Apps won't update

Have you by any chance disabled any stock app or service? If yes, maybe one that you have disabled is necessary to Google Play to work.
    Razr M Rooted
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Have you by any chance disabled any stock app or service? If yes, maybe one that you have disabled is necessary to Google Play to work.
    Not me - phone is stock - not rooted.
    I've been wondering if I have an app on my phone that is not on my tablet (like a security app) that doesn't play nice with updates from the store. I don't have this problem with my tablet - only the phone.

May warrant some investigation.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    I had a similar, although not identical, problem with my old phone, a HTC Aria running good old 2.1. One day, just out of the blue, it stopped connecting to Market for updates. I could not even install new apps. It gave me a weird message about not being able to connect or something along those lines. Everything else worked, email, browser, etc. I tried all that I could think of and followed all the suggestions I could find on the internet. I even contacted Google and had them checking my account to see if there was a screw up somewhere, but all checked out.

At the end, I did an FDR, but since I had rooted the phone and I had ClockWorkMod on it, I was able to easily restore it to how it was from a recent back-up. The one thing that surprised me though, was that the back-up worked, as the one I used was one I had done after the issue with Market happened... I tried that just for the sake of experimenting, but I was quite sure I would have had to use an older back-up, made prior to the issue.

At any rate, morale of the story, sometimes you have to quit looking for an explanation and just go with the solution that makes your phone functional again (although I truly HATE fixing thing without understanding how I did it...)
    Razr M Rooted

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    I got to thinking about why my phone acts this way and my tablet doesn't. The only difference between the two is my tablet is Jelly Bean and I may have installed some apps on my phone that aren't on the tablet. So I eliminated a few apps that were on the phone that are specifically designed to interact with other applications.

Interestingly enough - after I removed these apps, my problem with the Market has resolved.

Killzila - do you have any of these apps installed on your phone?

AppBrain App Market
    AppBrain Ad Detector
    App Monster Free
    hillmom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Oh, oh, the infamous "applications-conflicting-with-each-other" issue Glad you found a solution! I am always intrigued by cases like this, because it just should not happen. Given the "sandbox" approach used in Android, each app (in theory) cannot interfere at system level with another (for example invading memory space allocated to another app). However, situations like this clearly indicate that an app can and will impede operations of another in certain conditions.

Fascinating....
    Razr M Rooted

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Oh, oh, the infamous "applications-conflicting-with-each-other" issue Glad you found a solution! I am always intrigued by cases like this, because it just should not happen. Given the "sandbox" approach used in Android, each app (in theory) cannot interfere at system level with another (for example invading memory space allocated to another app). However, situations like this clearly indicate that an app can and will impede operations of another in certain conditions.

Fascinating....
    You're right Batman - it shouldn't happen but when you think about the fact that people are writing thousands of different apps and operating systems are constantly being updated, etc. it is funny it doesn't happen more often. PC's seem a lot more finicky about this type of thing than Android phones but it is bound to happen. I don't think it was coincidental that my phone started behaving normally after I deleted those apps (still not certain which one it was, I just picked likely candidates based on what they do).

Not sure why it took me so long to realize that my tablet wasn't showing the same symptoms. My only excuse is that I don't use it as often.

Ads