Register

Droid Razr M battery replacement.

This is a discussion on Droid Razr M battery replacement. within the Droid RAZR Help forums, part of the Droid RAZR Support Forum category; I dropped my phone in the toilet and it seems to have shorted the battery...hopefully. It is pretty easy to get the phone apart and ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

Droid Razr M battery replacement.

I dropped my phone in the toilet and it seems to have shorted the battery...hopefully. It is pretty easy to get the phone apart and remove the battery, but I just can't seem to find a replacement anywhere. Any suggestions? It doesn't seem like the phone has been out long enough for there to be any out there with a busted screen for cheap. Any ideas???

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    315 times

Re: Droid Razr M battery replacement.

Might be more than the battery, who knows what shorted out in there you don't have a warranty or insurance plan?

Member #
    The warranty does not cover water damage and is also voided after you open the device...which I've done! My insurance plan deductible is almost the cost of a new phone, so I'd like to try and find a replacement battery first. You're right that more may have been damaged, but the battery is definitely toast. I have searched high and low and come up with nothing... I may just have to wait...unless someone out here knows!?!?

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    You can have Motorola replacing the battery with out of warranty service for $49 + taxes:

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...%20replacement

However, I think now the M is available for $50 from Verizon, you might be better off getting a new phone, since you have invalidated the warranty.
    Razr M Rooted
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Member #
    Motorola will not service a water damaged phone. They state on the linked site that they will return it unserviced. Also, Verizon has the M for $50 (well 49.99) with a new or renewed contract...which is how I got this phone. Thanks for the insight, though.
    Last edited by Cromadd; 12-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    The way I interpret the "Motorola will not repair or replace liquid-damaged products." clause is that it applies only in case you would request warranty service, which is not surprising. In your case, you would be paying for the battery replacement, do not see why Motorola should not do it.

The question is rather if it is worth replacing the battery not knowing if there is any other problem with the phone. Since you opened the phone, does it turn on if you disconnect the battery and plug the charger in? Most phones refuse to boot with no battery, but they do give life signs with a message on the screen to that extent.

Another option, if you are handy with electronics, is to borrow the charged Li-Ion battery from another phone and jury-rig a couple of wires to temporarily replace the supposedly busted battery of the M. All Li-Ion battery have the same voltage and for such kind of test the battery capacity is not an issue. At least you would know if the phone still works.

My daughter dropped her LG Elite phone in the toilet too few months ago. After removing immediately the back cover, battery and uSD card, I first shook it for a while to get as much water as possible out of the phone through the headphone jack and a few other holes in the back. Then I blow-dried it with her hairdrier and finally I kept it in my car all day screen down (so that the holes in the back were unobstructed) while it was parked at my office, NOT in direct sunlight. That gentle "baking" forced the remaining water and moisture to evaporate. When I put the battery back the phone rebooted as if nothing had happened and the phone is still working to this day.

Motorola boast that the M electric board is coated in a water resistant "film", chances are that if nothing shorted on the board itself, only the battery did, probably overheating and getting permanently damaged.

Good luck!!!
    Razr M Rooted
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Ads