Register

Only Getting Some, But Not All, Comcast Emails

This is a discussion on Only Getting Some, But Not All, Comcast Emails within the Droid RAZR Help forums, part of the Droid RAZR Support Forum category; Hello everyone, This is my first post having just gotten my new Motorola Razr Maxx today, which is my first smart phone ever. I am ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

Only Getting Some, But Not All, Comcast Emails

Hello everyone,

This is my first post having just gotten my new Motorola Razr Maxx today, which is my first smart phone ever. I am not a techie, so this is a new world for me (welcome to the 21st Century, I know!).

Comcast is my internet provider and I am using the stock email app that came pre-installed on the phone. The problem I'm having is that I'm receiving some, but not all, of my emails on my Razr. I think - and this is a complete guess - that perhaps the problem has to do with how/how often the email is taken off the Comcast server by my Outlook on my desktop computer. I have my desktop running virtually all the time. My desktop Outlook retrieves my emails from the server within every 15 minutes (or something like that); I guess depending on where it is in that 15 minute cycle, the email comes to my Outlook at any point within that period. Once the desktop Outlook retrieves the email, it is gone from the Comcast account.

On my Razr, which is not synch'd in any way to my desktop computer, there’s a setting that says I can “fetch” email manually or fetch automatically every 15 or 30 or 60 mins, etc. (It's set to every 15 minutes.) Maybe the Outlook on my home computer is retrieving some email messages before my Razr gets to it, leaving nothing for my phone to retrieve? But if that is the problem (or if it's something else entirely), I don’t know how to resolve it. Also, my Razr's setting tells me that Comcast does not permit data to be "pushed" through, which I figure means it won't let me get my emails instantly when they hit the server? Currently, I do not have my desktop's Outlook synch'd to my new phone and I don't even know if that is feasible or even a good option because of how large my Outlook mailbox is. Regardless, I'd like to know how I can get all my Comcast emails to make their way to both my desktop Outlook and my new phone.

I figured I'd ask here before I spend the better part of a day (or more) on the phone with Comcast and/or Verizon (my mobile phone service provider).

Thanks very much for your guidance.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    First off, welcome to the forum!

This may end up being easier than you think. My first step would be to change outlook to leave messages on the server. I'm not sure of which version of outlook you are running but here is a list of guides for each version...
    Outlook 2003: Work with POP3 messages on multiple computers - Outlook - Office.com
    Outlook 2007: Read POP3 e-mail messages on multiple computers - Outlook - Office.com
    and Outlook 2010: Read POP3 email messages on multiple computers - Outlook - Office.com

Following the guide for your version of outlook should result in your messages being left on the server instead of being removed thus allowing your Razr to get the messages.

Let us know if this works for you!

Member #
    Redtarget, thank you very much! Glad I joined this forum. I looked at the link you provided and will try this. Funny thing is that after sleeping on it, I woke up with the the same thought: that it would be great if i could just have my desktop Outlook retrieve a copy and leave the original on the Comcast server for X days after which it would autodelete from the server. That would give me say 2 weeks to get my mail and then it would be gone from the server for good as always. If the x days thing doesn't work, at least I'd be able to go in my Comacast account and manually delete periodically. I'm going to check all this out and see if I can make it work. I'll report back in case there's anyone else having a similar problem.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Redtarget, thank you very much! Glad I joined this forum. I looked at the link you provided and will try this. Funny thing is that after sleeping on it, I woke up with the the same thought: that it would be great if i could just have my desktop Outlook retrieve a copy and leave the original on the Comcast server for X days after which it would autodelete from the server. That would give me say 2 weeks to get my mail and then it would be gone from the server for good as always. If the x days thing doesn't work, at least I'd be able to go in my Comacast account and manually delete periodically. I'm going to check all this out and see if I can make it work. I'll report back in case there's anyone else having a similar problem.
    Hope that this works out for you! I believe you'll probably have to manually log in as you said to delete your email every so often. OR... you could just change your settings back to remove from the server within Outlook, do a sync and then change them back to leave messages on the server. That's probably quicker and easier than manually deleting from the web portal.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Welcome aboard!

Ads