Register

safestrap reset question

This is a discussion on safestrap reset question within the Droid RAZR Help forums, part of the Droid RAZR Support Forum category; Well i ran into an issue when i installed eclipse. Not with the rom but in how i backed up my system and apps. Fyi.. ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

safestrap reset question

Well i ran into an issue when i installed eclipse. Not with the rom but in how i backed up my system and apps. Fyi.. dont trh and restore system data from rom to rom.. anyway i cant enable safe mode in recovery. It says "error restoring data" and wont switch over for me to be able to clear the data from it to be able to flash eclipse again. I liked the rom alot but like i said i didnt realize what i was doing would be as damaging as it was.. so how do i clear the data from that mode so az fo have a fresh start???? Or am i stuck? Should i try bootstrap?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    Is it possible that you used two versions of safestrap? I haven't had this problem on my Razr but I did have it on my thunderbolt where my clockwordmod recovery was not the right version.

If possible make sure you copy out your backups to a PC or external source. That way if you have to start over, you may be able to use them to get back up and going quickly.

I think my safestrap version is from 2/28 ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    To expand on my previous post as I had an unhappy baby....

I have had problems in the past with restoring a backup from a different version of clockwordmod than what it was made in. From my experience you can restore an older backup using the same version of recovery or a newer version.

This may not be the case at all here, but it reminded me of my own issues in the past.

Member #
    Yes but it said error while I still had the first version installed. I have fixed most of my problems but this one. I still have some files left over from the first strap saved on SD but I can't even boot in to safe mode to clear the data before or after my problems. Extra info- I was able to run eclipse for a short time while the stock from was down but when I switched over to set my USB to debugging and PC mode so I could fix it then switched back to operate the phone thru eclipse that was all she wrote. Do I need to uninstall again and try to download another safe strap?

Member #
    Update. I found out my problem. It was a faulty titanium backup file!!! I uninstalled and had for go through my files and erase every backup and file that had go do with that app and I'm back on eclipse running better. Fyi titanium backup doesn't tell you but back ups don't switch over well if you back up the system data. It clashes with the system on the flashed com. Only BA k up the apps themselves.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    212 times
    Yeah, restoring system data is usually only good if you are restoring to an identical system and rom.

I've made this mistake in the past and usually admitted defeat and reflashed... remembering to just restore missing apps. :-)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sarceneaux View Post
    Well i ran into an issue when i installed eclipse. Not with the rom but in how i backed up my system and apps. Fyi.. dont trh and restore system data from rom to rom.. anyway i cant enable safe mode in recovery. It says "error restoring data" and wont switch over for me to be able to clear the data from it to be able to flash eclipse again. I liked the rom alot but like i said i didnt realize what i was doing would be as damaging as it was.. so how do i clear the data from that mode so az fo have a fresh start???? Or am i stuck? Should i try bootstrap?
    I just ran into the same problem. I have safestrap installed. I then had installed Eclipse rom, and started setting it up. I have switched back and forth from safe system to non-safe system. But the last time I was on safe system I restored some apps with data using titanium. I have been in my un-safe system for a couple days, and decided I wanted to go back to the safe system to further work on getting things set up, and i now get an error and wont boot into safe system. So I then went to restart in un-safe system, and it has wiped out my stock rom. It went back to the stock system as it was the day I bought my phone, all my data is lost. im at the point where you press the android to begin.

My question is, how do I clear this up? I cant get into the safe system to wipe and start over. Can anyone help me here?

Next question is, is my data lost for my unsafe system? I never made a backup, i didnt think i needed to with using safe strap?

Every time I reboot, (in un-safe) it goes back to the press the android to get started. I loose all data everytime i reboot. ahhh please help!!

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnuttz View Post
    I just ran into the same problem. I have safestrap installed. I then had installed Eclipse rom, and started setting it up. I have switched back and forth from safe system to non-safe system. But the last time I was on safe system I restored some apps with data using titanium. I have been in my un-safe system for a couple days, and decided I wanted to go back to the safe system to further work on getting things set up, and i now get an error and wont boot into safe system. So I then went to restart in un-safe system, and it has wiped out my stock rom. It went back to the stock system as it was the day I bought my phone, all my data is lost. im at the point where you press the android to begin.

My question is, how do I clear this up? I cant get into the safe system to wipe and start over. Can anyone help me here?

Next question is, is my data lost for my unsafe system? I never made a backup, i didnt think i needed to with using safe strap?

Every time I reboot, (in un-safe) it goes back to the press the android to get started. I loose all data everytime i reboot. ahhh please help!!
    Honestly, I can't give you an answer on why this happened. I don't use safe system so I am not as familiar with it as I should be.

I CAN though, give you an informed opinion and let you know what I would do in this situation.

As far as I am concerned, Data is lost. Gone. Unfortunately that DOES happen sometimes. Going from that, start over. It is your best option to make sure you get a nice clean system and nothing popping up later because you had a file somewhere hiding that will cause a problem.

Pull anything of your external SD card that you want and format it. I would only save media files. App folders should go, who knows what could be corrupting this, and it could possibly be one of those.

Use the DroidRazr Utility to fastboot. I feel in this situation, you should use version 1.40 as it formats your internal SD. We want to get everything off this phone. So choose option 1 to fastboot to the latest official rom. Then reroot, and install safestrap if that is what you choose (I'm a Bootstrapper).

Now you have a phone with the lastest official rom, rooted and with a bootloader. Go from there.

I know this is cruddy, but somewhere in your swapping back and forth between roms and backing things up, and restoring, I would bet my money on a corrupted file. There is NO way to know what the file is, and the steps I stated is a sure way to make everything is fresh.
    Last edited by reallyneatgirl; 03-31-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Member #
    Thanks reallyneatgirl.
    That is what I have already started to do, start from the beginning with a clean fresh system.
    Also I may look into using bootstrap, because now I am a little leary of safestrap.

Ads