Register

usb stick to razr

This is a discussion on usb stick to razr within the Droid RAZR Help forums, part of the Droid RAZR Support Forum category; Can I hook up a usb stick to my razr and transfer files to it? if so is there anything special I need to do?...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

Question usb stick to razr

Can I hook up a usb stick to my razr and transfer files to it? if so is there anything special I need to do?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure that you could to the Razr or Maxx by itself - one would be due to the USB port size (the phone is a micro)...but also, I don't think you can mount external USB devices (I could be wrong, I have also not tried)...

However, I do think if you had the Lapdock 500, you might be able to transfer files but then again not 100% sure.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times

Member #
    Well, realize this is an "Old" Thread, but I'm currently messing around w/ the topic, so I thought that I would give it a little 'Update'.

First, the Adapter cables (USB to Micro USB), keep in mind there are just the standard adapter cable, and "On the Go" cables, the On the Go are the ones specific to this application.....BUT, Moto phones DO NOT send power OUT of that micro USB plug, so, even using an On the go cable(see these for the Galaxy phone quite a bit)....

Anyway, even using the Go cable, when you goto "System Settings", then "Storage" , at the very bottom, you will see an option to "Mount" a USB Drive.

SOLUTION: You must go from the phone thu a proper adapter cable to a POWERED USB HUB, and put your 'Stick' into the HUB.

Obviously, this solution kinda takes the Portability advantage.....well....not totally out of the process, since you don't need the PC, but your still not just plugged in.

AT THE MOMENT: I am looking at 2 options: 1. Battery HUB? (Haven't even looked, as I just got the cable and realized this problem today)

2. Cut and make the cable a " Y ", and connect a proper battery (Need 5V, around 2 Amp). TOTAL GUESS, BUT, I have several of the old little batteries from the old flip phone, they are about 3.8 V or so.....I'm guessing you might be able to get away w/ that.

That said, with standard adapter cable, you just need to solder the ID Pin to ground, and go w/ it, thru a HUB. Otherwise, be sure to check on the cable in a bit of detail before buying, they are quite picky....

Anyway, if anyone is still monitoring this thread, Thoughts???? Like I mentioned, I see it's nearly a year old, I'm wondering if anyone went anywhere w/ it since?

Thanks all, hope this info may be helpful, if nothing else, gives a bit of closure to someone stumbling across it as I just did, while researching...

All the best, Spyder

Member #
    Yes,

It is possible, Yes it works, or I should say it did... Before update 4.1.1. I bought a converter from the razrM usb to standard A usb I plugged in my stick, it lit up and was able to see external Usb on my phone looking at file explorer. I was able to listen to music from the device.

This was also the case with my brothers Samsung galaxy 3, I don't know if his still work, but to date my flash powers up but now I do not see the option of external USB.

Ads