Register

[How To] Get Screenshots with Android SDK of Your Unrooted RAZR Desktop

This is a discussion on [How To] Get Screenshots with Android SDK of Your Unrooted RAZR Desktop within the Droid RAZR General Discussions forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; How to take Screenshots of your Unrooted Android device(s) This process outline below assumes you have downloaded and installed applications before on your computer. If ...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

[How To] Get Screenshots with Android SDK of Your Unrooted RAZR Desktop

How to take Screenshots of your Unrooted Android device(s)

This process outline below assumes you have downloaded and installed applications before on your computer. If you have not please refer to your computers operating manual.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for what you do with your device if issues arise using the below process. This is the process that has worked for me as outlined. I am using an Windows 7 64 machine and what works for me may not work for you.

Download and Install the following:
    1.Motorola USB and Charging Drivers here
    2.Goggles Android SDK (Software Development Kit) here
    3.Pick the appropriate one for your desktop pc (I downloaded the windows version "android-sdk_r10-windows.zip and unzipped into a folder I choose. i.e. C:\Android\) (If you do not have an unzipping tool you can get a free version here of 7Zip)
    4.Oracles Java JDK (Java Developers Kit) here
    5.Pick the JDK button and follow the instructions> Pick a platform> And select the check box that you agree with the license agreement.> Click continue and click on the jdk-6u24-windows-x64.exe to download (NOTE: you may not have the exact file listed that I picked but it should look the same just without the "x64" if your not running a 64 bit machine)
    Once you have installed everything above now you can setup to take a screen shot of your device desktop

1. Go To Settings> Select Applications> Select Development> and enable USB debugging by selecting the check box

razr03.png razr04.png

2. Connect your device using your usb cable
    3. Locate where you unzipped the Android SDK> Open the tools folder and double click on ddms.bat (or ddms if you have your file extensions hidden)
    4. The Dalvik Debug Monitor will open Make sure you device is listed in the upper left hand side of the window

Dalvik_debug_monitor.png

5.To take a Screenshot, select Device> Screen Capture

ScreenCapture.png

6. The Device Screen Capture window will open
    - Click Refresh to capture a current screenshot
    - Save your screenshot to your PC
    - After you are done with all the screen shots you can click Done

razr02.png

You have now successfully taken a screen shot of your unrooted device using the SDK tools you can get for free on the internet. Now this is intensive and the easier way to do this is to unlock/root your device but if you do not want to void your warrantee at this time this is the next best thing.

If anyone has any modifications to this process please post here in this tread and I will update the OP.

Happy Screen Shooting!!

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Welcome to the forum! Nice write up for our unrooted users.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. I did one for the XOOM earlier this year and it helped alot for users who do not want to ROOT thier device. I hope this helps new users to the Droid Realm getting the RAZR.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    I think it will help quite a few...screenshots IMO should be a native feature on all phones.

There is also an app in the market (paid $4.99) that you can obtain screenshots without root... https://market.android.com/details?i...Wxsbm9yb290Il0.

However, I don't see most wanting to pay that...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    I think it will help quite a few...screenshots IMO should be a native feature on all phones.

There is also an app in the market (paid $4.99) that you can obtain screenshots without root... https://market.android.com/details?i...Wxsbm9yb290Il0.

However, I don't see most wanting to pay that...

That application is basically the same procedure that you can do for free with the SDK. You have to download their software to the computer, install it, and then connect your phone via USB. I really don't see paying $4.99 for something that is already available for free.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lowboydrvr View Post
    That application is basically the same procedure that you can do for free with the SDK. You have to download their software to the computer, install it, and then connect your phone via USB. I really don't see paying $4.99 for something that is already available for free.
    With the op method, your phone has to be connected to the computer tho to capture the screen cap... With the paid app, it does not (however if you reboot your phone, you have to recalibrate the app prior to using again)...

I don't disagree with ya on the why pay if it is free but I think it could come down to ease of use (not being connected to a computer).

~~ the machine is nothing without the woman ~~

Member #
    thanks for this posts, it works with me,
    however, do you know any ideas of how to get snapshot from the phone itself ?

regards

Remove Ads

Ads