Register

Screen Flickering...

This is a discussion on Screen Flickering... within the Droid RAZR General Discussions forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; Hey all... Today I noticed this extremely weird behaviour. While it was at charge on my desk at work, the bottom part, exactly where the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Screen Flickering...

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Screen Flickering...

Hey all...

Today I noticed this extremely weird behaviour. While it was at charge on my desk at work, the bottom part, exactly where the keyboard ends, was flickering. It was very light and noticeable only with a slightly light coloured wallpaper. Dark wallpaper shows nothing.

What do I do?

I can't take it back to the Motorola service center as there aren't any. Also, I am gearing up to buy a new phone anyways.

But, just a thought, could it be the ROM? I am using MIUI. Could it be that? Or the brightness level may be?

EDIT: It is not this kind of flicker:

It is more like when you decrease the brightness and it goes really choppy. Hope I am clear. Can post a video tomorrow, if need be.
    Last edited by B.L.E.A.K; 11-20-2012 at 05:03 AM.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/253/bsig.png/

Member #
    Liked
    47 times

Re: Screen Flickering...

Bleak...
    Did you try clearing Caches and rebooting your phone...I'm sure you did...

Screen problem if its happening often my friend

Its Bubba

Wow!
    What A Day Of Fishing...

Its Bubba..

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Quote Originally Posted by The persuader View Post
    Bleak...
    Did you try clearing Caches and rebooting your phone...I'm sure you did...

Screen problem if its happening often my friend

Its Bubba
    No I haven't...will it help? Let me try. It just happened all of a sudden..

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Nope...still flickering...

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Factory reset? If still present after that, send the phone in for repair or exchange it.
    Getting the most Maxx for the $$$

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Check settings > developer options > show screen updates

If that is checked, uncheck it. If its not, check it, move scroll the screen a little and then uncheck it.

It looks sort of like what that option does to me. Have you tried switching keyboards? Do you have a new keyboard installed? It almost looks like it's showing and hiding itself very rapidly, possibly a bug with the keyboard you're using. Can you use the keyboard normally? Is the screen the only thing that flickers? Does it only do this on the home screen? (didn't watch the whole video..)
    B.L.E.A.K likes this.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    What happens if you change from portrait to landscape? Does the flickering "follows" the bottom of the keyboard? If it does, it is probably a software problem. If it stays in the same area of the screen (with the bottom now being the left of right side depending on how you rotate the phone) then I'd say it is a hardware issue, although it is hard to be 100% sure.

The Razr phones have AMOLED displays, which means there is no backligthing. Each of the pixels (dots) on the screen light up or turn off independently. It could be that the video controller or some of the connection from it to the screen are malfunctioning, hence the flickering limited to a portion of the screen. Have you tried to gently press on the bezel surrounding the area that flickers? Often if it is an intermittent contact that would either alleviate the problem or make it worse.
    fury likes this.
    Razr M Stock
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fury View Post
    Check settings > developer options > show screen updates

If that is checked, uncheck it. If its not, check it, move scroll the screen a little and then uncheck it.

It looks sort of like what that option does to me. Have you tried switching keyboards? Do you have a new keyboard installed? It almost looks like it's showing and hiding itself very rapidly, possibly a bug with the keyboard you're using. Can you use the keyboard normally? Is the screen the only thing that flickers? Does it only do this on the home screen? (didn't watch the whole video..)
    WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS THAT? The Developer Section thing? I have a weak heart BTW and that option almost made me skip a beat...

anyways, yes it is a new keyboard, and I don't know if I can uninstall it. I flashed it through Recovery. I can use the keyboard normally, it is Xperia S's keyboard modded and themed like MIUI.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    What happens if you change from portrait to landscape? Does the flickering "follows" the bottom of the keyboard? If it does, it is probably a software problem. If it stays in the same area of the screen (with the bottom now being the left of right side depending on how you rotate the phone) then I'd say it is a hardware issue, although it is hard to be 100% sure.

The Razr phones have AMOLED displays, which means there is no backligthing. Each of the pixels (dots) on the screen light up or turn off independently. It could be that the video controller or some of the connection from it to the screen are malfunctioning, hence the flickering limited to a portion of the screen. Have you tried to gently press on the bezel surrounding the area that flickers? Often if it is an intermittent contact that would either alleviate the problem or make it worse.
    It strangely happens only on the home screen. Nowhere else. It is just more obvious while charging. also, I cant feel the bezel being lose in anyway. They back is creaking for some reason though when i press it, but that's it. while rotating, I cant see it. Only when its in a portrait mode that i can see it. Strange really.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    It really smells like a software problem, maybe in some conditions the video drivers in the ROM you are using are not working properly. I know it is a pain, but could you flash the phone back to stock ROM?
    Razr M Stock
    16Gb PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC
    Fosmon DURA S Series TPU Case Black
    Miztech MZ 521 PDA Leather Holster

Life is too short to own a boring phone...

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Sure seems like a bug with that keyboard. You may not be able to uninstall it, but if you go to language and input and select a different keyboard, that might fix it...

And as for the developer options thing, sorry I didn't explain that further. It just does something similar to what your phone was doing, so I thought it might have been enabled for some reason.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Ads