Register

Foxfi undetectable?

This is a discussion on Foxfi undetectable? within the Droid RAZR General Discussions forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; So, I installed foxfi, and I wanted to be sure before being charged.. Is using foxfi to make my phone a mobile hotspot undetectable by ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Foxfi undetectable?

So, I installed foxfi, and I wanted to be sure before being charged.. Is using foxfi to make my phone a mobile hotspot undetectable by verizon? Is it detectable if I tether? Anyone used this much and/or have any tips? Thanks in advance
    HTC Droid Incredible(Backup)
    HTC Thunderbolt (Junk)
    Nook Color (Rooted)
    Motorola Droid X2 (Trade-in)
    Motorola Droid RAZR (Current)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I posted this on the sister site yesterday.

Foxfi - Page 3

I have no idea if these people screwed something up or if VZW has detected unauthorized tethering, but feel it's a good idea to share this info and let each user decide for themselves.

Member #
    I have foxfi. And use it all the time to jump my kids iPod while we are at ball games and other functions and I never had any trouble from Verizon detecting it. Its a great app. At least for me.there's another that I use also its called St VP hotspot its in the store also it works great. Good luck

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I used FoxFi on my X for a while. Never use tether too much anyway. Since switching to the Maxx I've only had to use Foxfi once. Worked just fine......Until I went to ICS. Once I went to ICS I couldn't get FoxFi to work at all. I just deleted it and spent the time to change the permissions. Now my stock app works just fine, and SHOULD be undetectable.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight.....your tactics stink!

Running a rooted RAZR MAXX! Now on ICS

Member #
    the person that got the message was using it for XBOX. Lets me smart when we are using this and not huge data usage...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Yeah I don't use it alot, but it seems to be working just fine
    HTC Droid Incredible(Backup)
    HTC Thunderbolt (Junk)
    Nook Color (Rooted)
    Motorola Droid X2 (Trade-in)
    Motorola Droid RAZR (Current)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Just a word of caution...

If you are using wireless tether a lot, you really should be paying for the service. Otherwise, they will catch on and start charging you. On the other hand, if your using it for a laptop, USB tether is still free, I think.

Member #

Verizon Illegally Charging for Tethering\Hotspot

I would have to respectfully disagree with anyone who recommends, admonishes or condones any user paying extra for tethering or hotspot functionality. In fact, if Verizon charges anyone with a data plan for tethering\hotspot, it is illegal per the FCC.

Google 'Code of Federal Regulations Title 47 27.16' and read Section C, subsection 1. It states, ''Standards shall include technical requirements reasonably necessary for third parties to access a licensee's network via devices or applications without causing objectionable interference to other spectrum users or jeopardizing network security. The potential for excessive bandwidth demand alone shall not constitute grounds for denying, limiting or restricting access to the network.'' However, I have to admit, section B is my favorite, and the precursor for the above wording, ''Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network''

In essence, when the C-Block (frequencies 746-757MHz and 776-787MHz) came up for availability, the FCC reluctantly agreed that if a certain dollar amount were reached in the bid war, just under $4.7 billion, in this case, the FCC would put stipulations on whomever the winning bidder was so they couldn't, basically, stick it to their customers...much like Verizon has been doing for many years now. I guess the FCC figured if they put a ridiculous dollar amount on the block of frequencies, no one would touch it so the FCC wouldn't have to crack the whip; however, the moment C-Block became available, Google, God bless 'em, bid the required minimum amount, basically forcing the FCC to now pony-up and tell the winner, in this case, Verizon, ''No! Bad Verizon!'' Here's a link that better explains it: A Missed Opportunity By The FCC In Ruling Against Verizon - Editorials - RootzWiki - RootzNews - RootzWiki

Now, keep in mind, Verizon, and any carrier with whom you have cellular service, can actually catch on to what you're doing (hotspotting\tethering without paying) thanks to a little something called TTL (Time To Live). Basically, your phone, just like your computer, divvies all your data (in this case, your voice and conversation) into what's called data packets. The general value is 64 for each packet. As each data packet passes from one device to another, it basically loses a value of one. So, it starts out with 64 on your TouchPad\iPad\etc. and hits your phone, that's 64 to 63. It leaves your phone and goes to the cellular tower, that's 63 to 62, and so on. At some point, Verizon sees that you've got packets with values less than what they should be and realizes you're probably tethering\hotspotting but aren't paying for it. In my case, they keep bumping me down to 3G from 4G and my video sputters, buffers, then dies. So, I just keep doing it, waiting for a charge, e-Mail or phone call, just so I can say, ''Hey! Guess what, Guys...''

So, people, use FoxFi to your heart's content, and also checkout SVTP on the Google Market (now known as Play Store). SVTP isn't free, but it's very affordable. Keep in mind, it does NOT work on some devices nor does it work on ICS. There are others to try, but these two worked best for me. And, by all means, thank Google for freeing up the C-Block from Verizon tyranny. Remember, if Verizon catches you and gives you grief, point to that (above) link and tell them, ''Nice try. Turn my service back on (or take that off my bill, whatever) lest I report you to the FCC.'' I doubt they want to pay another $1.25 million fine. I mean, that must really cut into the money they make fleecing their customers.
    Last edited by Scruffy Nerfherder; 08-20-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Didn't read your entire post, but from what I've read about it, they can't block the apps on the market anymore, and they can't charge you if you're on a usage based plan. So if you still have unlimited data, you have to pay for hotspot.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Ads