Register

Android OS using a ton of battery

This is a discussion on Android OS using a ton of battery within the Droid RAZR General Discussions forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; I've been running into some battery drain issues with my Razr Maxx recently. The phone was at about 95% last night, and this morning it's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Android OS using a ton of battery

I've been running into some battery drain issues with my Razr Maxx recently. The phone was at about 95% last night, and this morning it's at only 55% about 7 hours later with no usage. The phone was sitting idle all night, with smart actions to disable data/sync.

I checked Badass Battery Monitor, and there was very little CPU usage and nothing was waking the device or keeping it active.

The one thing that did stand out was that Android OS had used about 80% of the battery overnight and that tons of sensor time was being used, according to the battery monitor. During the 7 hours, Android System had used over 5 hours of sensor time. It shows that about 90% of this was the accelerometer. A lot of my background apps, such as Beautiful Widgets or Sportscenter, had also used about 1.5 hours of sensor time (all accelerometer).

Any ideas what could be causing the accelerometer to be used so much? Could this be causing the battery drain?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    I've heard this before, but don't remember if there was a fix. I charge mine all night, so I haven't experienced this. Just out of curiosity, why aren't you charging at night?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    I've heard this before, but don't remember if there was a fix. I charge mine all night, so I haven't experienced this. Just out of curiosity, why aren't you charging at night?
    It was at 95%, so no need for a charge. Either way, this drains occurs during the day as well - not just night. If I'm out for a few hours without a charger, the accelerometer is still showing excessive usage.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    Possibly a bad device. I'd try a factory reset and see what that does. If it continues, I'd go back to Verizon and tell them.

Member #
    I had a similar experience with my RAZR last night. Went to bed at 50% - and in the morning - it was totally dead. During the day today - it has been much better. Odd.

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    If you guys are rooted you may want to try an ap called "battery calibration". It has always worked well for me on other devices. That also said, do not be afraid to charge even if you are close to fully charged. You cannot over charge these and you do not ruin them by doing so (like the old cell batteries were like).
    I cut corners till I break it.
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire
    The GOTSTA Knows of the Razr Forums

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    I always charge at night whether it needs it or not LOL...

I have had high Android OS use but not to that extent with no use...good luck and hope you find some resolution (keep us posted!)...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    I always charge at night whether it needs it or not LOL...

I have had high Android OS use but not to that extent with no use...good luck and hope you find some resolution (keep us posted!)...
    Yup. Plug mine in when I go to bed. If I forget, I get up and go get it and plug it in. Doesn't matter how much charge I have left.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I am not rooted, but I will tell you that with moderate use, smart actions set, and badass battery monitor, my RMaxx gets a full day and 1/2. I also have 4 weather widgets per city open, the news widget, and facebook widget running. Display is usually set low unless I am bluetoothed smart action to the car where it goes on auto so I can see the screen. I plug in every night 11pm when going to bed, I wake up at 6am and unplug. I purposely do not plug in during the day to see how far I can go. At 11pm I usually have about 40% power left. Sounds like I would take Scotty's advice if you can't figure it out. Let us know.

Member #
    Do you use 4G or 4G LTE? If you don't, disable it and use 3G/CDMA Only. 4G drains the battery 3 times faster than using 3G, even when it is idle. To do this: Go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode and change the setting to CDMA Only. You'll notice a phenominal difference!

Ads