Register

Lapdock Gives (re)Birth!

This is a discussion on Lapdock Gives (re)Birth! within the Droid RAZR Accessories forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; I'm sort of in shock. Back in December, I bricked my original Razr Maxx when trying to get the Jelly Bean leak installed . I ...

Member #
    Liked
    102 times

Lapdock Gives (re)Birth!

I'm sort of in shock.

Back in December, I bricked my original Razr Maxx when trying to get the Jelly Bean leak installed. I got the leak to run but lost root and tried to revert. That didn't go well, and eventually the battery died and I was toast. I procured a new (refurbished) device and waited patiently for the OTA to drop, which it did and all was again right in the world. I kept the bricked Razr in a drawer in the event that I ever decided to buy a factory data cable adapter from Team Black Hat to juice it up again.

Fast forward to last night when I was moving some stuff around and found the Lapdock 100 that I purchased back in April when it was clearanced out by AT&T. I plugged it in to charge it up and wanted to start using it again. Shockingly it was sitting with an apparent charge for ~3-4 months and only blinked for about 30 minutes before the white light went solid and it was fully charged. I unplugged it again and left it out in view so I'd think to use it.

Tonight I was watching TV and using Viggle (a pretty neat service similar to Foursquare for TV where you get points for watching shows and viewing their in app ads; points can be redeemed for lots of stuff, including gift cards (I got $50 to Buffalo Wild Wings last week!) and playing their Viggle Live trivia while watching some shows. The app gets sort of cranky when you tab out (hold the home button to get app switcher) to see other stuff and then come back, so you're kinda stuck in there while you play the game. I saw the Lapdock and thought, "man it'd be nice if I had that old phone working so I could use the old one for Viggle and the new one for whatever else."

I actually stood up to come to my PC and order the factory data cable charging adapter from Team Black Hat and looked at the Lapdock again. I've tried reviving the dead Razr by leaving it on the charger for a whole day, using a car charger, etc, to no luck. All I ever got was a white light in various states (flashing or steady, but it eventually goes off). So for fun I decided to plug it in to the Lapdock just to see what would happen.

SHOCKER ALERT! IT POWERED ON! I got a red M, and then the charging status.

I'm going to let it get some juice and see what I can do. Does anyone know what I would need to do to get this to the current OTA (I can't remember if the leak was the final or not..) and/or can I use Razr Utility to bring it up to current or do I need to go through the OTA?

Developing...
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Two things: It was up to 15% and I tried to boot it. I got red M and then black screen for several minutes. I could hold POWER and VOL DOWN to simulate a battery pull, but it kept booting back up and failing again. Thanks to this helpful post I was able to force it off by holding POWER and VOL DOWN until I saw the flash, then pressing VOL UP (while still holding the other two) and entering AP Fastboot mode, and then tapping POWER to shut it off. I unplugged and replugged to the Lapdock and it showed the red M and the charging indicator again. Will let it charge up some more before proceeding.

Second thing: When I saw the AP Fastboot screen, it did not look like what I have on my current Razr. Was the bootloader updated to have more options in Jelly Bean? It didn't have any options for recovery or AP Fastboot that you can scroll through, it just said (among other things) some version numbers, battery OK and such. If I put it into this AP Fastboot mode, can I use Razr Utility to flash up or do I need to find out what version that is/was and use that SBF file with RSD Lite (or a previous version of the Razr Utility)?

Thanks for any help!
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Update 3!

I must have button mashed when trying to enter AP Fastboot the first time. I let the phone charge up to 60% and tried again, and I got the proper options this time. I went into AP Fastboot mode and I am running Matt's Razr Utility right now. Results to follow!

If this works, I'll have a dedicated device to use in my Lapdock which I can use on available WiFi, or swap it with my activated Razr Maxx to use on 4G (or make a hotspot).

If anyone else has a bricked phone that fits into a Lapdock, plug it in, you might be able to bring it back!
    Twitter

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    424 times
    Congrats on the resurrection.
    For fastboot on the razr, there were 2 differing ways to boot. You could boot to bootloader, which gives the options you were familiar with, or you could boot directly to fastboot, which is what you described you did this time. One is booting with power and vol down, the other is booting with power and both vol buttons

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDude View Post
    Congrats on the resurrection.
    For fastboot on the razr, there were 2 differing ways to boot. You could boot to bootloader, which gives the options you were familiar with, or you could boot directly to fastboot, which is what you described you did this time. One is booting with power and vol down, the other is booting with power and both vol buttons
    Got it. I was able to get it to force shut off, and after it was up to about 50% I flashed with Razr Utility and it ran without a hitch. I loaded a few apps on it last night but it's just crunching with BOINC for the time being. As I mentioned, it will be used as a secondary device, likely with my Lapdock (or a dedicated Viggle companion) so that I can still use my phone for other things.

I'm a little upset that I didn't try this earlier, and my girlfriend was quick to ask why I didn't just put the phone in the Lapdock when it first bricked on me before I got a different unit. I had to explain to her that A) I bricked the phone in December and got the Lapdock in April, and B) there was really no reason for me to think to try that instead of a regular wall or car charger in the first place. Then I started talking about forcing it into AP Fastboot and using the utility to reflash the device in great technical detail and she left me alone :P
    Twitter

Remove Ads

Ads