Register

Moto lapdock 49!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Moto lapdock 49!!!!!! within the Droid RAZR Accessories forums, part of the Droid RAZR Forum category; I did some searching last night and found some videos showing it in use. I pulled the trigger on it, and I guess it already ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    I did some searching last night and found some videos showing it in use. I pulled the trigger on it, and I guess it already shipped. Thanks AT&T!

I have a laptop that is rapidly getting worse and worse (it's 5+ years old, battery is shot, overheats like crazy), and all I really use it for is web browsing that I can't do comfortably on my phone due to screen size or needing a mouse/keyboard. So the lapdock seems like a good and cheap alternative. If I don't like it, I can probably sell it to someone, right? My roommate has a Bionic and he travels a lot so he might use it too.

I like the idea of having the phone screen on there too. I assume I can view and reply to texts and use my apps on the big screen just like I can on the phone? A few videos I saw showed the phone screen docked at the left side, while another showed it in what I guess would be tablet mode, where the phone took up the whole screen and you could page through the phone apps and such.

Either way, I think I'll like it, and the price is great.
    fury™ - not helping the situation since 1987
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fury View Post
    Does Jelly Bean still have webtop? I might look into this...
    I have read that Webtop indeed works on JB. I will have to give it a try tonight (haven't hooked up to my lapdock since taking the update).
    Sometimes You're The Hammer And Sometimes You're The Nail.
    It Is More Fun Being The Hammer, But You Learn More Being The Nail.

FORUM GUIDELINES OF CONDUCT

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Webtop is still in JB and works but these are the last phones to have webtop. Moto has stopped development if it on phones after the Razr/Maxx product cycle. I also got mine when big red was getting rid of their stock awhile back. I don't use it much anymore since getting my Transformer Prime tablet. I know it also work with the Droid 4. I loaned mine to a friend after I stopped using it and they loved it. Funny thing they stopped using it too after getting an iPad as a gift. I guess we can see why Moto stopped working on it. Great idea but the retail price at the time was way too high so very few were sold. The table was the nail in the coffin.

fasthair

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Thanks for the info. I'm waiting on mine to arrive. I do very light web browsing with my computer (mostly paying bills and reading this and a few other forums), so it sounds like it will work for me. I also use my phone for texting/tweeting while watching TV, and this should help enhance my speed with live tweeting events, and keeping my portable if I travel or need connectivity away from home on 4G.

I remember hearing about the concept of the lapdock when it was first announced a few years ago and I thought it sounded really neat and had the ability to revolutionize the way we use our phones on the go, but unfortunately they just couldn't get the price point right.
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Anyone know how to get out of tablet mode and into webtop so the phone is on the right? Mine just looks like a tablet with the status bar at the bottom of the screen. Is this normal behavior for Jelly Bean?
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fury View Post
    Anyone know how to get out of tablet mode and into webtop so the phone is on the right? Mine just looks like a tablet with the status bar at the bottom of the screen. Is this normal behavior for Jelly Bean?
    Not positive but I believe the ICS and JB updates have eliminated some of the options originally available on the lapdock display. This includes the phone window and the Firefox browser.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeJamm View Post
    Not positive but I believe the ICS and JB updates have eliminated some of the options originally available on the lapdock display. This includes the phone window and the Firefox browser.
    Gotcha. I'm getting used to it. The keyboard is a little cramped for my hands, but it does work well. I think it would be easier to use with a USB mouse instead of the trackpad, but I like what I've used it for so far.

The apps I have on my phone are forced into tablet mode, which makes better use of the large screen. I definitely wish I had this for my vacation last week, we could have used it for looking up directions and restaurants and such.

This sort of accomplishes two issues that I've run into lately, which is needing a new laptop and wanting a Nexus tablet. This offers a great combo of both, without actually carrying data on a new device.

If you're not sure about getting one yet, go for it!
    Twitter

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    This thing is absolutely better with a USB mouse. Get one with a scroll wheel to get the full use out of it. I hadn't used my dock in a while and plugged it in today. Was surprised how long the battery in the dock stayed charged (had to be 3 months since I last charged it).

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeJamm View Post
    This thing is absolutely better with a USB mouse. Get one with a scroll wheel to get the full use out of it. I hadn't used my dock in a while and plugged it in today. Was surprised how long the battery in the dock stayed charged (had to be 3 months since I last charged it).
    I used it for about an hour off charger and it was showing phone and dock both at 99% battery. Seems good so far.
    Twitter

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Also just realized that it will charge the phone if I just plug it in. That more or less makes it a spare battery pack too :P If it can run this giant screen for ~5 hours, I'm sure it could charge the phone too. Anyone know if it provides power to the USB ports to charge other devices too?
    Twitter

Ads